Wul's Car Care Thread

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    euan
    Wul,

What's the deal with clay bars? When would you use them, and what are they for?

At the moment, my routine is as follows:

Wash car with two bucket method and sheep mitt (must have been a run on those recently...)
    Wax with Megs (NXT on order), last waxed 1st week of January.

Now, how oftern should I be applying wax to the car, and where does the clay fit in?

Cheers.

Wul
    Hey Euan - Clay bars are the safe way to remove tar spots and road grime from your clear coat without damaging the surface - it will leave your paint feeling like glass. I generally do my car 2 times a year with clay - after summer and in the spring. THIS article tells you how to clay.

Your routine sounds fine and only clay when your cars paint feels rough and gritty after you've washed it (the boot are needless to say gets it bad!) Clay removes all your wax too.

There's no set timescale for waxing - as much or as little as you like but it your wax coat on a daily driver may only last about 6-8 weeks so i usually try and wax a min of every 2 months although over winter the temp needs to be above about 10degC to let the wax bond properly to the paint.

euan
    Cheers, sounds like it needs done again, although with all this snow about I might just have to wait.

Resident old yin.
    Wul,

checked out the price of Meguairs in Walmart here in Hilo, Hawaii.

Gold CLass wax is $10.46
    NXT Tech Wax $15

A LOT cheaper over here. So anyone visiting the states may want to stock up.

I bought a huge plush microfibre drying towel for $7!

Wul
    fill an empty suitcase - you'll make a fortune Ken!!

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Another Question kids....
    Does anyone know...

How to *REALLY* clean your windscreen on the outside? to get rid of the Wiper marks that appear after a while?
    Starting to notice it quite prominently after washing (the window! ) and putting the Rain-X on.

Any ideas:question:

quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Another Question kids....
    Does anyone know...

How to *REALLY* clean your windscreen on the outside? to get rid of the Wiper marks that appear after a while?
    Starting to notice it quite prominently after washing (the window! ) and putting the Rain-X on.

Any ideas:question:

never own a car long enough to notice

but

I use the vinegar and water thing followed by Mer windscreen cleaner don't use rain X hate it.
    Cooper Coupe...

Wul
    Ewan - the wiper marks are probably as a result of the Rain-X itself - they have their own brand cleaner which removes all traces of Rain-X - or try washing the windscreen with a strong mix of fairy to get it "squeaky" clean. Carful it doesnae run over your waxed paint though. Failing that it might be a worn part of the windscreen itself and in which case your goosed mate!

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Rain X sucks!!!!

Wul
    No it disnae - it's brill!