Wul's Car Care Thread

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Monsta Mo Mini
    Any queries regarding polishing, washing, Meguiars products or sheep skin underpants, our resident sa...expert will answer your questions.

Wul
    TRY THESE LINKS FOR SOME ANSWERS GUYS

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/knowledge.html

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/faq.html

http://www.bettercarcare.com

:)

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Dear Uncle Wul,
    I keep reading about the two bucket method of washing the car but am not scientifically gifted enough to work out how it works. I hose Wee Eck down, then start washing him from the top down, paying special attention to his eyes, ears and teeth, then give him a thorough pedicure. I use Megs nxt shampoo and wax with the top up spray wax for when I'm in a hurry. Where am I going wrong?

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Wul
    No probs Sheliz :) Taken from the Meguiars UK Website:

The 2 bucket method is basically what it says. You get two buckets to wash your vehicle, one with car wash solution in and one with just clean water.

Once you have hosed the car down with an open hose to remove any loose contamination you put the wash mitt into the wash solution and start at the top of the vehicle and work down. Every time you need to recharge your wash mitt with wash solution you rinse the wash mitt out in the bucket of clean water to help prevent contamination your wash solution.

Once you have finished this you “chase” the water off of the bodywork with an open hose from top to bottom which reduces the amount of water sat on the surface. Then all you need to do is dry the car off.

If you are using a sponge to wash your car then you can quite easily trap grit between the face of the sponge and the bodywork. This is what puts in most of those annoying "swirl marks" you can see in certain lights which are thousands of tiny scratches in the clear coat lacquer. A wash mitt has pile and gives the grit somewhere to go rather than just trapping it against the bodywork. Using the two bucket method further reduces the chance of doing damage, but clear coat lacquers on today’s vehicles are so soft that some marking is almost inevitable

An additional tip for the summer is to mix a small amount of wash mix and wash the wheels first then ditch this get a fill up of new and wash the rest of the car. This means you don't get nasty water spots when the sun dries the water on the roof and bonnet while you wash the wheels.

Wul,

so you dip the mit in the wash bucket then wash a bit of the car.
    then you put the mit into the clear water to rinse the mit before you put it back into the wash solution bucket then wash the car a bit more.

so my qauestion is this after washing the car a bit more you dip the mit back into the clear water right for the second time won't you be getting some of the contamination from previous dip in the clear water back onto the wash mit:question:
    Cooper Coupe...

Resident old yin.
    Is Wul an expert now is he? I thought he was just some saddo who hung out on the Meguiars forum

Meguiars is cheap cr*p really - they sell it in Walmart in the US at really cheap prices after all :blackeye: It is about $10 for NXT wax over there you know! BTW some Halfords branches will be doing a limited range of Meguiars soon.

Only kiddin' of course, it is good stuff. If you want to try a really good wax though get yourself some p21S Carnauba - lovely :)

Two bucket method is c great tip though. I was amazed at the amount of grit in the bottom of the rinsing (clean water) bucket when I first tried it. Loads at this time of year especially.

ps the NXT spray wax is rubbish.

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Fi you don't obviously get a 100% clean mitt after ever dip in the rinse bucket but it still removes 90% of the dirt and grit which would otherwise end up in your wash solution.

To rip off Dr. Pepper. Try it you might like it. I mean what's the worst that could happen?

quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Fi you don't obviously get a 100% clean mitt after ever dip in the rinse bucket but it still removes 90% of the dirt and grit which would otherwise end up in your wash solution.

To rip off Dr. Pepper. Try it you might like it. I mean what's the worst that could happen?
    Oh I already do sorry Allan already uses the two bucket method since I read about it on here a few months back but I just wondered how clean the second bucket would be after the first dip. As I stand and watch Allan wash my car gives me sometime to think about these things
    Cooper Coupe...

Wul
    Heh Heh - good to see your still hangin around these parts Ken!! :)

Fi as col says you don't get a 100% clean mitt - but also make sure you dont't put the mitt right down to the bottom of the rinse bucket or you'll stir up all the grit at the bottom - stick to the top half and the water should still be pretty clean. Try it and you'll see what we mean. :)

Ken - i know what you mean re the prices of Megs - but have you ever looked at the Zaino prices!! $10 over there and £30 over here!!!

Glad your liking the P21S - nearly bought some myself but opted for the Megs #16 pure Carnuba wax instead - seen good results for it applied over NXT - hoping to get some on the car this weekend.

As for the NXT spray wax - this is meant as a top-up and not a full wax - don't let it dry in or it's a bugger to buff off but use it when the car is wet and it works not too bad.

Getting the cabrio back from the bodyshop today.

It took 3 days first they use cutting polish then they wax the car but had to leave a few hours between coats and they done three coats of wax. What kind of wax is that then:question: dose now mean that we will no longer be able to use the clay bar on the car would this get rid on their wax.:question:

I'm just wanting to keep Allan right all this stuff can get a bit confusing:(
    Cooper Coupe...