Very Concerned

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    [quote]quote:Originally posted by Julz

Originally posted by bad dog mini

That explains why we think differently then seeing as Col and I are about the same age, and were therefore at school at about the same time, and you are so much older!!
    We also went to school Julz...

quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Col - Read my post again, the point I made was that 'correct grammar' is an invalid statement. Grammar is a moving concept and it's driven by what is the acceptable norm for the educated. What you were taught at school is not 'correct grammar' rather what was acceptable at the time. Things do and have move on.
    How can "correct grammar" be an invalid statement? Even when things move on there is a grammatical standard for any given moment in time and anything written that matches that grammatical standard at that moment in time has "correct grammar".

Mini Me
    WOT ????? let it go guy's ,cos i don't think anyone else knows what ure on about)well me anyway)

The Dogfather
    Col - Correct, implies right and wrong. Right?

The concept this guy was talking about was that there is no right or wrong rather a pool of acceptable grammar. To use the example of the saw/seen post, possibly both are acceptable at this moment in time.

I'm no expert on grammar <damn right>, your arguement about the use of 'saw' seems valid enough, but I'd have used 'seen' just like Big G.

quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

Col - Correct, implies right and wrong. Right?

The concept this guy was talking about was that there is no right or wrong rather a pool of acceptable grammar. To use the example of the saw/seen post, possibly both are acceptable at this moment in time.

I'm no expert on grammar <damn right>, your arguement about the use of 'saw' seems valid enough, but I'd have used 'seen' just like Big G.
    There is a right and wrong for any given moment in time. I understand your point about evolving grammar, however, the comment "correct grammar is an invalid statement" is a false statement. (You started it!)

Iain - I just rememeberd I have a change in Spec! It's Julz's fault!

The Dogfather
    Understand were your coming from, if you want to use the phrase 'correct grammar' perhaps there's more than one 'correct grammar' at any given time?

The point I was making is that a singular 'correct grammar' is an invalid statement.

Iain - He wants a scottish speaking sat nav!

Julz
    quote:Originally posted by Big Col
    Iain - I just rememeberd I have a change in Spec! It's Julz's fault!
    Yes, I shall take all the blame!!

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Its the bastardization of language caused by the modern habit of confusing/integrating the vernacular with the written. Depending on your individual point of view it can be seen as good or bad. On the plus side it simplifies language - less goobldygook - and is afterall how language has evolved to its present state. On the negative side some may see it as a lowering of standards and an erosion of language - Americanization of English, rapidly vanishing dialects such as Doric etc. I dont think this is unique to Scots or English though some nationalities are pro-active in protecting their language. I'm sure someone told me recently that there is a movement in France to replace English/American words with an appropriate French version. Can understand the patriotic impulses behind this but also I think its a very small part of the 'battening down the hatches' trend in the global community. One of my professors at uni, an expert in Russian history, predicted war between the US and Europe within 200 years. Hopefully he was being unduly pessimistic. (bloody hell I'm fairly cheery the night)

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Mini Me
    I must be thick,cos not only don't i have a clue what you are talking about,but my head hurt's reading it !