Where to put an amp..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aimee_s
    Where has anyone got their amp? In the boot or is there room under passenger seat..? or is under the passenger seat something ive just dreamt up!

If you don't have the nav (or the HK stereo), there's a piece of foam under the carpet under each seat - if you lift the carpet and remove the foam you create quite a large space - this has been used for installing amps, playstations etc. If you have NAV the space under the drivers seat is taken up with the navigation drive. if you have the HK the HK amp will be in one of the spaces (if you have NAV and HK they are both full).

This pic shows the space under the seat.

Or you could go for a boot install - as an example here is Bonnie Scotlands

It is also possible to get amps in the side cubby holes of the boot

Sponsor
    yeh, unless you have mini mobility installed... the boot compartment bit under the boot carpet is amp sized. Only thing is you will have to build in a fan(best to use one designed for a PC) to keep the bas**rd cool.

UNder the seat could be a bit dodgy. When the seats are at the lowest position, they are basically sitting on the floor, so your seat would have to be pretty high up. Also the heat from the amp could be an issue. There are a lot of cables n sh*t under the seats. Although if there is the wee foam bit that Martin mentioned for sat nav, then it might be ok. It would be far more simplet to wire it up from under the seat!

By the way, what does simplet mean? mmmmm.

In an S we have the added problem that the battery is in the boot - so then you have to look at making false floors etc.

As sleepy says heat can be a problem - and pc fans controlled via a relay from the amp turn on wire can help resolve it.

Sponsor
    yuk!! I am thinking of a nice wee install because one of my bass speakers is blown. But I dont want to sacrifice to much of the minimal space that there is already!!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I like that boot install

Sponsor
    haha bonnie, I didnt mean yuk i dont like your install, its sweet. I meant yuk, I dont fancy getting involved with false floors and miles of cable etc.

Your set up is sh*t hot!!!

Imjust jelous cos i dont have the time or money to do one myself :disapprove:

Mr Nice :-) & Sponsor
    Hey BS what's the wee red square looking thing sticking out on the right hand side just below the furry dice:question:

and it looks like someone's using the hole under the seat for a PS2. Fitting a PS2 should be a lot easier now they've made them smaller too.

The Dogfather
    Kenwood do a two 6x9 sub and amp package that will fit behind the side pannels. Costs about £200

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Big Col
    Hey BS what's the wee red square looking thing sticking out on the right hand side just below the furry dice:question:
    Erm :I well :I, it's like this :clown: when mikeythemini did the install he also added a wee neon strip under the parcel shelf, so, the red connector is the adaptor that allows me to remove the parcel shelf :I