Radiator fan not working.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 cooper s
    Hi. Laddies an lassies. Any help appreciated. Radiator fan not coming on so overheating if not moving. Check fuse, which are good. Removed temp sensor connector to see if problem was there but fan wouldn't burl plus car wouldn't start. Next step is check the relays. Any thoughts on what to try if they're OK? Cheers Aaron

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz man View Post
    Hi. Laddies a lassies. Any help appreciated. Radiator fan not coming on so overheating if not moving. Check fuse, which are good. Removed temp sensor connector to see if problem was there but fan wouldn't burl plus car wouldn't start. Next step is check the relays. Any thoughts on what to try if they're OK? Cheers Aaron
    I take it you have checked to see if the fan turns freely and no signs of corrosion on multi plug and wiring ?
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 cooper s
    Hi thanks for the heads up �� looked at connection half way down the fan with 2 red and one black. Found one of the red ones snapped. Just need to pull some stuff out the way and try to see if I can work something out.

- - - Updated - - -

They 2 ? are supposed yo be a thumbs up???

- - - Updated - - -

Think it's a resistor on the fan that wire goes into. Does anyone know if I can bosh this or do I need to stump up for new fan? Cheers Aaron

Car
    Hi thanks for the heads up �� looked at connection half way down the fan with 2 red and one black. Found one of the red ones snapped. Just need to pull some stuff out the way and try to see if I can work something out.

- - - Updated - - -

They 2 ? are supposed yo be a thumbs up???

- - - Updated - - -

Think it's a resistor on the fan that wire goes into. Does anyone know if I can bosh this or do I need to stump up for new fan? Cheers Aaron
    Try a repair first

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 cooper s
    Bridged with normal electrical wire, not sure if that's OK but still nothing. Although I did notice green coating on resistor was crumbling away. Is that an issue?

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 cooper s
    Anyone know if nissens radiator fan from 1320mini fits straight onto the original shroud? Cheers Aaron

Car
    Bridged with normal electrical wire, not sure if that's OK but still nothing. Although I did notice green coating on resistor was crumbling away. Is that an issue?
    The green coating is a sign of corrosion,try and clean with vinegar and very hot water to see what you are left with

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 cooper s
    Hi thanks for the help again. I'm tslking about green ceramic coating in attaced picture that's crumbling away. Got a reaction when i started car and put ac on then pulled temp sensor connector. Radiator fan didn't come on until I turned car off. So fan seems to be working at some point. If radiator doesn't turn when ac on does this mean either ac compressor or clutch has an issue? Cheers Aaron Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230717_120128_eBay.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	303.1 KB 
ID:	9417

Car
    JCW
    Hi Taz, it sounds like you have proved that the fan can work, just not when expected. Plus the AC runs up - did you feel it pushing through cold air? If yes, then the AC is also okay.

The question mark would therefore be surrounding the part with the crumbling coating, which is likely to be some form of Thermistor or switch - under the green coating is likely to be a coil, like in a transformer or relay. If it is crumbling and is located in a heat area, then the coating has succumbed to its temperature surroundings and at worst needs to be replaced.

Jim M

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 cooper s
    Cheers Jim, got a new fan coming. No cold air coming through. Checked air con pressure and looks good. Going to check if compressor engages when I can get underneathas i think if that's goosed slow speed fan won't engage. Cheers Aaron