Returning ex-owner (so I guess not technically a newbie)

Car
    R56 Cooper S hatch
    Hi all,

Just 'rejoined' NMS after quite a few years away from MINI ownership. Thanks to William for helping me get restarted on my old username rather than starting afresh.

Previously owned a N18 R56 Cooper S but sold that to scratch a V8 itch. I had 4 full years driving a 6.0 LS2 V8 Monaro as my daily. However, it increasingly needing more attention with (mostly) niggly little issues - not a surprise on a 18yr old Aussie car. I sold it at the end of October with no intentions to replace but my willpower lasted <3 months before I was back on Autotrader...

My new MINI - a 2014 F56 Cooper SD. I'm not 100% sure on all the options. It has the usual toys like HUD, etc., also has the H/K stereo, 8.8" sat nav, full leather, heated seats etc. Diesel rather than petrol - I'm now spending less per year on VED than I was per month on the Monaro, plus triple the MPG. Missing the noise of a petrol engine but after the V8 nothing will come close. I'd started off looking at R56 Cooper SDs but know they weren't a serious option as my kids need more rear seat space (legroom) - the F56 gives enough for this to double up for whole family use.

It's nice to come full circle back to a MINI. Totally coincidental that my F56 matches my previous R56 colour combo

Previous MINI:

The inbetweener:

Current MINI:

Cheers.
    Ally

Car
    F56 GP
    Welcome back Ally - I remember when you left on you Monaro adventure.

New car looks great.

Re. the noise - I'll just leave this vid here.

We bumped into Darkside Developments and their F56 SD at our last track outing and aside from being rather rapid it also sounded proper! Exhaust makes an appearance around 7:30 in the vid.
    Last edited by Track Ali; 31st March 2023 at 10:34 AM.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Car
    F60 Countryman Cooper S ALL4 Exclusive
    Welcome back, new MINI looks great. I always loved those wheels on your previous MINI, a mate of mine had them on his Check Mate.
    F60 MINI Countryman Cooper S ALL4 Exclusive (Enigmatic Black/Silver)

Previous MINIs:-
    R53 MINI Cooper S (Pepper White/Black)
    R56 MINI Cooper Bayswater (Midnight Black)

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Welcome back ,always had a hankering for a Monaro….nice new car choice
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Welcome back to NMS, great to have you back after your V8 adventures. Lovely new car
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Super Moderator
    Car
    F54 JCW White Silver Edition
    Welcome back

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Welcome back to NMSland

My wife Karen has a 2016 F55 SD which I'll probably take on this autumn when we get a newer car for her.

Pepper White, full leather, LED's & the laugh a minute 'sport' button .......... what's not to like

The 2 Litre BWW diesel lump (B47) is apparently detuned for the MINI, 190 down to 167 bĥp. Various mapping options are available out there with Celtic Tuning (they have a good few Scottish franchises), offering one at 240 bhp for £360
    I'll be tempted to look into mapping back to standard BMW output, add a good bit of poke to the torque

Enjoy the new car
    Last edited by Crombers; 5th April 2023 at 03:42 PM.

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Car
    R56 Cooper S hatch
    We bumped into Darkside Developments and their F56 SD at our last track outing and aside from being rather rapid it also sounded proper! Exhaust makes an appearance around 7:30 in the vid.
    I've heard their name mentioned a few times now. Deliberately not looking into things too much as I don't need more power... said nobody, ever.

Welcome back, new MINI looks great. I always loved those wheels on your previous MINI
    Thanks. That was one of several wheels I had on my R56

It arrived on 17" black spokes:

I bought the silver 17" with winter tyres:

I quickly got fed up with the ride quality of 17" with RFTs, so swapped to non-Chili 16" with non-RFTs in both summer flavour:

And 16" with winters:

I already have a set of identical-but-silver 17" Cosmos alloys on the way with winter RFTs and will most likely swap my current 17" summer RFTs for non-RFTs when the time comes. Saying that, the ride's already a lot better on the F56 on RFTs compared to what I remember from my R56, so I'm not immediately rushing towards ditching the runlets until they're done.

- - - Updated - - -

Celtic Tuning (they have a good few Scottish franchises), offering one at 240 bhp for £360
    Indeed they do. Not that I've looked...

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Re Darkside .......... that exhaust

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination