Electric Mini

Hi guys, it’s been at least three years since I posted anything on here. My partner and l decided we only needed one car between us so my roadster and her Citroen went and we got an Evoque, which l must say has been a fabulous car and not one problem in the three years we have had it.
    Anyway, we are now thinking about going electric, we don’t do that much miles really, checked my journeys on the LR app and in the last seven days we have done 110 miles.
    So this Saturday we are heading to Inverness to have a look at EV’s and as it’s still a joint venture lm going to steer her in the way of the HF garage

My question, do any of you guys have an electric mini and can give a me your thoughts on it.
    Thank you
    Tam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Niall and Jenny have an SE and they love it. They’ve brought it on a run and it was great to see.

I’ve driven one and they are very MINI like and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, the range is disappointing but sounds like it’ll suit yous for the mileage you do
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

The mileage is a bit disappointing but would definitely last us a week.
    The longest journey we have done in the last two years has been Elgin to Livi.

A few things we will need to consider and get our heads round,for longer journeys, charging places, charge apps and waiting for car to charge.

It’s a big change.

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

We headed through to Inverness yesterday and had a few test drives. Then we ended up at HF for a drive in the i3 and mini.
    The i3 was really good but Julie thought it was just too boxy. The test drive in the mini was a different experience from any mini I’ve driven before, Julie had never driven a mini before and was blown away with the handling and the acceleration.

So, we have ordered a BRG Level 2. It has everything we need and a few extras thrown in.
    It doesn’t arrive until October so I’m sure the six months will absolutely drag itself in

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Congratulations on ordering your new car. I’m sure the time will fly by and it’ll be here in no time
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    Cooper S Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam1314 View Post
    We headed through to Inverness yesterday and had a few test drives. Then we ended up at HF for a drive in the i3 and mini.
    The i3 was really good but Julie thought it was just too boxy. The test drive in the mini was a different experience from any mini I’ve driven before, Julie had never driven a mini before and was blown away with the handling and the acceleration.

So, we have ordered a BRG Level 2. It has everything we need and a few extras thrown in.
    It doesn’t arrive until October so I’m sure the six months will absolutely drag itself in
    Welcome to the Electric MIni Club! All the best ones are BRG level 2s
    We've had ours nearly two years and have racked up 23k miles on it - if we don't need to tow or carry at the weekend we use it over the bigger family car because it's a hoot for the driver and so much cheaper to run compared to petrol. I use it for work once a week on a 108 mile round trip, with charging faciilties at the other end.

My key advice to manage range anxiety and the car is:

• ABC - Always Be Charging, we charge at home every night on the drive so have a full battery every morning.
    • Get a Chargeplace Scotland card for tapping on their chargers. Allegedly the app can be a bit flaky. A surprisingly good network with many still free (though that is shrinking).
    • Download Zap Map on your phone now. Use it to plan your journeys before you leave (if there's a free charger near where you're going, why not use it?)
    • Watch 'Maddie Goes Electric' on the Fully Charged YT Channel - seriously, you want to understand what the differences are between a 7kW AC and 50kW+ CCS DC plug. E.g. on the MIni Electric FB page someone bemoaned how their journey across England was a nigh-on marriage wrecking trial with 3hr charging intervals at every stop.......... Someone then pointed out from their photo that if they'd used the CCS plug still in the holster on the side of the charger they'd have been charged in about 30 mins........
    • Try and charge in natural 'dead' time when you wouldn't be driving anyway - Overnight, when eating/visiting friends, etc.
    • Ignore the Guess-o-meter, change the bottom right of the display to percentage and work to 1% = 1 mile. That way you're never caught short. Sat-Nav route, etc can all mess with the range estimate, erroneously. E.g. went from Biggar to Dunkeld, charged at the CPS 50kW when having lunch, walked round the Braan, coming home the Sat-Nav said we wouldn't clear the Edinburgh bypass without a stop, turned of route navigation (the car no longer knew which roads it might be travelling on) and range increased to nearly home. In reality got home with 10 miles spare.
    • If you're on a Smart Meter look at off-peak tariffs such as Octopus Go, currently charging at 5p/kWh between 0030 and 0400. On a 7kw home charger that's enough to fill the battery in that window. Albeit I think we're in for a shock when our current tariff ends!
    • If you don't have a Smart Meter - get one so you're ready!
    • Like all cars - drive like you stole it and consumption will suffer!
    • Get a 'Smart' home charger to manage charge windows at off peak times or solar PV assisted top up (esp if you already have panels), that way the car can be left set to always accept a charge for ease on the road whenever you plug in.

Having basically 'Beta-tested' electric with our c.100 mile range 2nd car we're so confident at how to make it work I've put a deposit down on a family EV that can replace my Outback in the carrying, towing, off-roading, full day working stakes. Hope you find the above useful and enjoy the car when it arrives (hold on tight, the torque steer when you're having fun is 'interesting')

Niall
    Last edited by NRM1979; 20th April 2022 at 05:32 PM.
    56' MINI Cooper S Convertible - Astro Black, 17" R98 Alloys, Cordoba Beige interior with heated seats, Chromed Scoop and Mirror Caps, Chili Pack, MFSW with Cruise Control, "Red" LED Union Jack Rear Lights and Parrott MKi9000 (fitted by me!) 2023 - Full Engine Rebuild

Thanks Niall, that’s a lot of great advice there.
    I have now applied for a ChargeScotland card and downloaded the Zap app. I didn’t realise there were so many different chargers in Scotland, thought it was Tesla and then all the rest were the same company.
    So do l need a different card for each charger ?

Planning the journey is definitely going to be key to range anxiety tho for the two or three times a year we come down to the central belt. It’s 188 miles from our door in Elgin to Newbridge so I’m hoping that by next year there are one or two more places to charge on the A9. We won’t get the car until October at least so will be this time next year before we head south for the first time.

Will look into getting a home charger and an off peak plan in the next few months

It’s going to be a long six months wait but at least it gives me time to get everything in place.

Thanks again

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Handed in the number plate retention form to HF yesterday and our new mini is sitting in the parking lot and will be ready for collection on Thursday

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Great news Tam. Looking forward to seeing it. Couple it sleepless nights ahead of you

Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    Great news Tam. Looking forward to seeing it. Couple it sleepless nights ahead of you
    Thanks, definitely some sleepless nights one the way. Just the one problem is that the original date was end of October and l had arranged for the charger to be fitted second week of September, so a couple of weeks of public charging

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI