Quick question! Which engine does a 2008 MCS convertible have?

Car
    MINI Cooper S Convertible R52
    As the title says, been looking at mk1 MINI convertibles and was under the impression the mk1 finished on 2007 plate for convertibles? We've spotted a nice Cooper S convertible Sidewalk limited edition but it's a 2008 model. Can see shell wise and interior it's still mk1, but which engine does a 2008 MCS convertible have? Is it the same supercharged one as all other MK1 MCS's or is it the Gen2 engine (N series?) Not really wanting another N series engined one so any advise much appreciated

Car
    F56 GP
    It depends on gen. If it’s a first gen then it’s the supercharged unit. If it’s a second gen it’ll be the 1.6 turbocharged N14 with 170-odd hp.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Car
    hmm, see now I'm confused as it looks like a first gen MINI exterior and interior wise and can see the supercharger on top.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini sidewalk.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	9019

Name:	mini sidewalk int.jpg 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	9020

Name:	engine bay sidewalk.jpg 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	9021

Did they ever fit the charger to the N series engine or only the 1st gen engines (Cant remember what letter code they are?)

- - - Updated - - -

Was looking to go and see this one but after looking closely at the pics it looks like it might of had a front end shunt at some point, bumper/wing/ a panel dont seem to line up properly

Car
    F56 GP
    No the N14 and N18 engines only came in the 2nd gen cars.

The N14 was installed on pre-LCI model years with the N18 being the replacement on later model years.

The second generation convertible was designated the R57.

The first generation MINI convertible (with the supercharged engine) was designated the R52.

Hope that helps clear it up

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    No the N14 and N18 engines only came in the 2nd gen cars.

The N14 was installed on pre-LCI model years with the N18 being the replacement on later model years.

The second generation convertible was designated the R57.

The first generation MINI convertible (with the supercharged engine) was designated the R52.

Hope that helps clear it up
    Ah nice one Alasdair, that clears that up! Just found another up in Aberdeen wee like the look of. Cooper S even though we initially said we were only going for a Cooper! lol Mrs has said that if we're going to get a MINI convertible, might aswell go for the S. She's as much a petrol head as me! lol

Car
    F56 GP
    Quote Originally Posted by chillax View Post
    Ah nice one Alasdair, that clears that up! Just found another up in Aberdeen wee like the look of. Cooper S even though we initially said we were only going for a Cooper! lol Mrs has said that if we're going to get a MINI convertible, might aswell go for the S. She's as much a petrol head as me! lol
    I've learned enough about married life to know that you always listen to the Mrs... especially if she's suggesting a faster car.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    As Ali has said above they never crossed the engines I’ve the 3 generations. If it’s a R52 S your after it will have a supercharger W11 rather than an R57 with a turbocharged N14 or N18 depending upon year.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    I've learned enough about married life to know that you always listen to the Mrs... especially if she's suggesting a faster car.
    lol you should have seen how she drove my Civic VTi MB6 and my Civic TypeR FN2 lol.......she likes a quick car! After discussions with the guy selling it, decided that one wasn't for us so the hunt continues. Think we're gonna wait until the mx5 is sold before committing to a proper search. That way we can hold out for exactly the right car. I'm not too fussed tbh, although not wanting a "One" but a Cooper or Cooper S will fit the bill nicely. Really looking forward to MINI ownership again, only this time around it won't be the daily driver, jus our weekend toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    As Ali has said above they never crossed the engines I’ve the 3 generations. If it’s a R52 S your after it will have a supercharger W11 rather than an R57 with a turbocharged N14 or N18 depending upon year.
    Gotta love a charger! Always loved them over a turbo tbh, I like the instant power (and the noise!)