Tuning Boxes???

Car
    Cooper S DCT
    Hi folks…

I had a look and couldn’t find anything on the form about them, especially recently, so I thought I’d start a new thread.

Does anyone use a tuning box of any kind?
    Im aware that a remap is generally superior however I’d like something I could remove before it goes for servicing that potentially won’t be picked up by the dealer.

I ment to add - if you get a tuning box or remap how will this affect the DCT?
    I heard that if you remap anything with an Auto Duel clutch it can have a detrimental effect on the clutch due to the ratios being set for the way the car comes.
    Last edited by AlanJCW; 1st August 2021 at 10:35 AM.

Car
    F56 Challenge Edition #20
    I have a racechip ultimate installed.

It's been pretty good, easy to fit and remove.

I've been making enquiries this week about going for a stage2 remap, so will probably be removing shortly.

Been a good experience, and racechip were good to deal with and promptly answered some technical questions I had early on in ownership.
    Chewing through the restraints every night

Car
    Cooper S DCT
    Thanks for the reply Scottch

I just checked out the install for it on YouTube - It was a Clubman JCW but still the F56 engine so I’m assuming it’ll be the same as mine. It looks well easy compared with ones I’ve done in the past.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    I’ve ran a JB4 on a few of my F56’s with little issue. A remap will give you a better overall gain but the JB4 done ok at improving things. Matt also ran one on his F55 S with the DCT box so he’ll be able to answer how he found it with the box.

I would add that dealers can still see if a tuning box has been fitted or not if they want to.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    F56 Challenge Edition #20
    Dead easy to fit, Alan - If I can do it anyone can .....

There's only three plugs to connect to, the harness to hide (under the engine cover on mine) and I velcro'd the tuning box itself to the top of the battery box

With Racechip there's a few settings you can play around with too, if you want a more aggressive power delivery or some fine tuning.

You can see it in the pic attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	8923
    Chewing through the restraints every night

Car
    Cooper S DCT
    Nice bay..
    I’ve had my head chewed off for suggesting an upgrade already

Might have to wait until she’s out and sneak it on

Car
    2017 F56 JCW & 2016 R60
    I have a Bluespark Automotive box. Went for that as the JB4 was difficult to source at the time. Took about 30 minutes to install; most difficult part was working out how to disconnect the sensors. It is currently on setting 3 (of 5) and has noticeably increased power. They claim 282 but I see they now have a newer 3-channel version that claims more than 300hp.
    2017 F56 JCW Cooper S
    2016 R60 All4 Cooper S: All boxes ticked.

Car
    F54 Clubman JCW 306bhp
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    I’ve ran a JB4 on a few of my F56’s with little issue. A remap will give you a better overall gain but the JB4 done ok at improving things. Matt also ran one on his F55 S with the DCT box so he’ll be able to answer how he found it with the box.

I would add that dealers can still see if a tuning box has been fitted or not if they want to.
    As William said, I ran a JB4 with the DCT and found it made a noticeable difference - especially at the top end. Gear changes were slightly more harsh, especially if you were foot to the floor but I ran with mine all the way to the French Alps and back with zero issue and it was still a very comfortable journey when just cruising along.

I actually still have it sitting in the garage (with the Bluetooth module that lets you control it via phone app) if you decided on it and we’re interested.