Are the cup alloys probe to chipping?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen issues with the cup alloys chipping and corroding?

Both my rear wheels now have corrosion on the diamond cut spoke sections, never kerbed so I assume stone chip damage

I had removed the corroded areas on one wheel earlier this year (not perfect) and this wheel now has more damage, normally I’d get these refinished but if they are going to be easily damaged I’m not wishing to waste the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by goggs; 25th August 2020 at 06:14 PM.

Car
    F56 GP
    I had the Cup spokes on my F56 JCW. I'd say those wheels had a pretty enthusiastic life and yet they managed to resist stone chipping and the dreaded "whiteworm".

We did however change the colour of the wheels on Dad's convertible (as the original gloss black finish wasn't for him). We originally went for a silver/ diamond cut finish however the refurbished lacquer didn't last and we started getting issues. In the end we refurbished the wheels again and just went for a silver finish over the whole wheel.

EDIT: We've always found the OEM finish to be the most durable. It seems once you start refurbishing the wheel that it's only a matter of time before the lacquer starts corroding again on the diamond cut sections.
    Last edited by Track Ali; 26th August 2020 at 08:22 AM.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Thanks for replying, must just be bad luck, both fronts are in perfect condition, I’ll not do anything til won’t is past now

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    I had the Track Spoke alloys on my Red F56 JCW and did find that they where bad for picking up stone chips due to them bowing out. They just seemed to be magnets for it. Megan’s 210 had the Track Spokes also but as they didn’t have the bow where far less susceptible to chips.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    2020 Cooper s
    I hope they aren’t bad for corroding I’ve specd them on my new S due for delivery just in time for the winter lol

Car
    F56 GP
    Quote Originally Posted by R5 5KOT View Post
    I hope they aren’t bad for corroding I’ve specd them on my new S due for delivery just in time for the winter lol
    You should be fine.

As I've mentioned above the Cup spokes on my own F56 JCW lasted well over the 3 1/2 years I owned the car.
    The Cup spokes on my wife's Clubman JCW have also lasted really well.

I think the issue with corrosion comes in once folks start refurbishing the wheel after kerb damage.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Car
    2020 Cooper s
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    You should be fine.

As I've mentioned above the Cup spokes on my own F56 JCW lasted well over the 3 1/2 years I owned the car.
    The Cup spokes on my wife's Clubman JCW have also lasted really well.

I think the issue with corrosion comes in once folks start refurbishing the wheel after kerb damage.
    Reassuring thanks mate

My alloys are 2years old, never Kerbed or refurbished, personally I put it down to stone chips and bad luck, both front alloys are perfect

Last edited by goggs; 8th September 2020 at 08:26 PM.