Vanos adaptation values

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2007 Mini Cooper non-turbo
    Hi folks.

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've got a 2007 Mini Cooper non-turbo. I've recently been experiencing a rough, high, fluctuating idle when starting from cold and a reduction in power, whether hot or cold. I'm getting code 287D which just keeps coming back.

I've replaced both vanos solenoids and both camshaft position sensors and the fault is still there. I have checked my timing using a Laser tool and it was spot on. The chain was replaced only 3000 miles ago and it still looks and feels tight.

After replacing the vanos solenoids, I carried out a vanos adaptation reset and got the following values:

Intake adaptation value 148.6 (It should be between 140 and 160)
    Exhaust adaptation value 59.2 (It should be between 40 and 60)

My question is: what do these values actually mean or indicate? I'm assuming there is something amiss with the exhaust vanos phaser or exhaust camshaft oil control rings, but do these figures suggest anything definite?

Hope someone can help.

Cheers.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    I take it you have also checked for air leaks etc
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Super Moderator
    Car
    F54 JCW White Silver Edition
    Welcome to NMS

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Welcome to NMS. Have you checked for any air or oil leaks?
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Hi folks.

Yeah, I've checked for leaks everywhere. I've been trying to diagnose this for about 6 weeks now and it's doing my head in. I'm thinking it's a vanos phaser or camshaft O ring fault. but I'm open to other suggestions.

I've just reset the vanos adaptations again and took it for blast on the motorway. Now, I'm getting fault codes 287D, 2845 and 283D.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Gerard778; 16th April 2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Additional info

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    My next question was going to be if you had checked the O Ring. Fault codes 2845 & 283D both lead to the exhaust side of VANOS
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    No, I haven't checked the camshaft O rings yet. I'm going to whip the valve cover off again and check the phasers and O rings.
    Is replacing these O rings a job you've attempted yourself? I'll have a go at most jobs but these O rings fill me with dread as they look as if they need to be stretched quite a bit to fit them?
    I see you're located in Midlothian. Is there a good mechanic in the Edinburgh area you trust with your Mini? Thank you.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard778 View Post
    No, I haven't checked the camshaft O rings yet. I'm going to whip the valve cover off again and check the phasers and O rings.
    Is replacing these O rings a job you've attempted yourself? I'll have a go at most jobs but these O rings fill me with dread as they look as if they need to be stretched quite a bit to fit them?
    I see you're located in Midlothian. Is there a good mechanic in the Edinburgh area you trust with your Mini? Thank you.
    No it’s not a job I’ve done myself.

There’s not a garage I use in the Edinburgh area, for any work needing done on any of my MINI’s I use B&M Centre in Glasgow that have always done great work on my cars, other members of NMS have also used them. Sorry I can’t personally recommend anyone closer but you won’t be disappointed if you decide to use B&M

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Yeah, I've seen B&M mentioned in a few threads. Thank you. I might have to give them a shout. Do you know if B&M have the proper BMW Mini diagnostic equipment?

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard778 View Post
    Yeah, I've seen B&M mentioned in a few threads. Thank you. I might have to give them a shout. Do you know if B&M have the proper BMW Mini diagnostic equipment?
    They do have all the proper diagnostic equipment