My Mini adventure with MINI and PH - the 3 Peaks Roadtrip

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    Thanks to MINI and the guys at Pistonheads, I found myself doing an epic road trip to film a promo for MINI with fellow JCW owners,
    Chris in his R53 and Ian in his F56, our presenter/host for the week Dan, and Ben and Sam from PH who shared two of the brand
    new 306bhp JCW Clubmans. Completing our team were film crew Shona, Robbie and Adam.

This is a little summary of our trip, and will hopefully make some sense alongside the film: https://youtu.be/cW2yshD6BNk

Day 1: starting early on the Tuesday in Fort William, quick breakfast and we headed up somewhere around Ben Nevis for some photos
    and to get kitted out with go-pros, walkie talkies and sound gear. I say somewhere around, because I'm not exactly sure where,
    but that's where the intro shots were taken.

From here we did the first of many tracking runs in close formation behind the camera car. Having done a run over the twisty bits, Robbie
    would come over the airwaves 'perfect guys... now let's do it again, two more times'. The campers started to take notice, and even the local
    sheep stopped munching for a brief second, wondering what was going on. I think they were all hoping to sneak into shot from the drone
    which Robbie had taken up into the air. First of many pitstops where we took the opportunity to fill up.

Down into Glencoe for more of the above, and we'd use the drone again for the arial shots. The lay-by we'd use to set up was
    empty when we arrived, but on return 2 buses had arrived, with tourists everywhere. As curiosity grew, they would take photos of us being
    filmed while we took photos of the hills.... strange.

Onwards via the Ballachulish bridge, several passes there for the drone, and along the edge of Loch Lomond, stopping for some photos
    and to allow Chris to have a paddle, before the drive to our overnight stop in the lake district.

Realising we'd missed our dinner booking at the hotel, we had a curry in the local village before hitting the hotel for a cheeky nightcap.

This was a long day.

Day 2: a bit more time for breakfast, then out to get the cars clean again, before heading to Scaffel Pike. My first time here, and as impressed
    with the scenery here in England as I had been in my native Scotland. Sadly the low cloud meant we couldn't see the very top.

After another morning of tracking, and posing for the cameras, we'd head to Morecambe for the seaside ice creams. That didn't quite go
    according to plan for me, the combination of twisty roads, close driving trying to keep up with the others, and the weather saw me with a
    spot of travel sickness, so no ice cream for me.

But after a wee nap, I soldiered on, and we found ourselves in the hills in North Wales. Still plenty of daylight, we were able to get some
    more tracking in on some fantastic roads, sheep and cattle mostly kept out of our way too.

Day 3: lovely cooked breakfast, and today we had hot water on the hosepipe, but not much room for washing 4 cars. Now our 3rd and
    final peak, Snowdon. Again we had low cloud, but only the very top was hidden. I had a lot of fun filming on the pass up the side, just as
    well the number of runs we did, shame it was too windy for the drone but Robbie and Adam were quickly up the rocks for better angles.
    Looking like something from the Alps, and possibly the favourite little stretch of road for me, all that was missing was Matt Munro playing in
    the background.

Lunchtime around the Evo triangle area, at a waterports centre. From here we'd all get a chance to drive the new cars, with Dan alongside,
    and solo when the other car was spare. Trying launch control for the first time, I sat with my mouth open for an age, then started to giggle
    like a little kid.

And that was us. Well, not quite, we had an overnight stop in Bangor, great chance for us to have a lovely steak and discuss pretty much
    anything car related. The Friday, well that's going to have to wait for pt2.

It was a great experience, interesting to see what's involved in making something like this, and our 3 days for the 4:16 of film. Every stop
    during the day saw us cleaning the cars to maintain appearances, sprays and microfibres were just a blur. I'm sure I even saw Chris clean
    his wheels at a set of lights.

If you compare us to those 3 mates who we've all watched doing road trips over the years, you know, the big shouty one, the slow old grumpy
    one, and the small crashy one, well it turns out I'm the slow one.

The new JCWs are brilliant, fast, comfy, sure-footed, I'd have one in Emerald Grey with a white roof. I enjoyed the trip in my 9yr old Clubby,
    drove it faster than I'd done up until this point. But the one we'd probably all like, even if just for the weekends was the R53... yeeha!

Thanks again to all involved, for your company, expertise, organisation, super unleaded, and patience.

Mike

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Sounds like you had fun ,which is what it’s all about
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Sounds like a great few days away, great write up.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A6285A76-4277-42C4-A881-173E076F6859.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	396.5 KB 
ID:	8213

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	026FC6A1-61B4-4366-912C-AED6E756F588.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	8214

The picture is in Glen Nevis, parked in the very same spot.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Car
    r53s jcw
    Great write up you lucky boy. Looks and sounds like a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Car
    Clubman JCW
    Sounds like a great trip. Super write up. MINI Adventures...….love them

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
    Great write up you lucky boy. Looks and sounds like a great trip.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Very luck I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniInd View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. Super write up. MINI Adventures...….love them
    Cheers, makes me want to actually do the 3 peaks now.

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    The 2nd part of the film came out today, spent the day on track on Anglesey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv-m6KLsyq4

write-up to follow...…