Hi, I have a 2003 R53 MCS which has developed a noise like a tractor from the right hand side of the engine. It goes away after 2000 rpm however my local garage thinks it's the timing chain or possibly the tensioner. They can't confirm until they get into the engine and that's going to cost more than I can afford to spend on the car I think.

The car is otherwise in fantastic condition with loads of go faster mods and I just love it. I've had loads of fun with it including some track days. Now I need to find someone who can fix this for me without breaking the bank or spending more than is sensible on a 16 year old car with 137000 miles on it.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a garage or mechanic in the East Kilbride area or Glasgow / Hamilton / Ayrshire areas that might be worth trying for a reasonable quote? What would you expect to pay for a timing chain change?

I really don't want to sell the car as I have done loads to if and it is such a great car to drive but if I can't get this fixed I will need to try and sell it to someone with the skills and the time to do the timing chain work.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Appreciated