Convertible roof cleaning

Hybrid View

Anybody got any tips for cleaning the roof of the Roadster- some areas have what appears to be mildew.

Cheers.

Go for the Renovo complete soft top kit - cleaner and protector. Makes a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Go for the Renovo complete soft top kit - cleaner and protector. Makes a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that. Is this what you mean.

Renovo REN-KIT2 Triple Cleaning Kit includes Soft Top Reviver/Soft Top Ultra Proofer/Soft Top Canvas Cleaner, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MOHMH..._JJ4yDbDPKXBYM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renovo-Co...edirect=mobile

This is what I used on my Z4 a few years ago. Car was 8 years old at the time, and I've not had to apply it again. Brilliant stuff

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Mine had a wee bit of greenery when I bought it and I just used the Autoglym kit.
    The cleaning sponge does seem a bit aggressive at first but it won’t damage the fabric.

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

Car
    JCW
    Hi folks, husband of new member Liz M (Banchory) here - I am the guy with the Jaguar Convertible that spoke with the Mini Members at the Kellockbank on the Highland Tour. A couple of tips on keeping the convertible top in good condition.
    First up, as inviting as it might be, DO NOT fold the hood when it is wet, or even just damp. This is a sure fire way to encourage the rot / mildew to set in. If left untreated, the mildew will rot the fabric.
    Secondly, treat your soft top as you would the other parts of the bodywork on the car, i.e. clean it regularly, including shampooing it during the wash process with your Microfibre Mitt. Never use a scrubber - anything that you can brush across your skin without scratching will be fine on your fabric roof. I even use the power washer on my soft top, but obviously not at full beans. If you do use the power washer, especially to remove the shampoo suds, make sure you deploy it at an angle to 'sweep' across the fabric, not aimed full on to the fabric.
    Next, depending on the use and storage conditions, you will need to waterproof the fabric at least once every 2 years - if not a daily driver and stored in a garage when not in use. In the rain, the water should 'bead' on the soft top, exactly the same as waxed bodywork.
    I use the Meguiar's soft top range - in fact I use Meguiar's range of products for all elements of my car care; although if you follow the normal washing regime I describe above, you don't necessarily need to use the soft top cleaner, just the proofing spray. When doing the spray, treat the car as though it was having the roof repainted and mask off everything that is not the fabric roof. You will be amazed at the results you can achieve and once you have the routine in play, it is easy to keep it going.
    Jim M

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz M View Post
    Hi folks, husband of new member Liz M (Banchory) here - I am the guy with the Jaguar Convertible that spoke with the Mini Members at the Kellockbank on the Highland Tour. A couple of tips on keeping the convertible top in good condition.
    First up, as inviting as it might be, DO NOT fold the hood when it is wet, or even just damp. This is a sure fire way to encourage the rot / mildew to set in. If left untreated, the mildew will rot the fabric.
    Secondly, treat your soft top as you would the other parts of the bodywork on the car, i.e. clean it regularly, including shampooing it during the wash process with your Microfibre Mitt. Never use a scrubber - anything that you can brush across your skin without scratching will be fine on your fabric roof. I even use the power washer on my soft top, but obviously not at full beans. If you do use the power washer, especially to remove the shampoo suds, make sure you deploy it at an angle to 'sweep' across the fabric, not aimed full on to the fabric.
    Next, depending on the use and storage conditions, you will need to waterproof the fabric at least once every 2 years - if not a daily driver and stored in a garage when not in use. In the rain, the water should 'bead' on the soft top, exactly the same as waxed bodywork.
    I use the Meguiar's soft top range - in fact I use Meguiar's range of products for all elements of my car care; although if you follow the normal washing regime I describe above, you don't necessarily need to use the soft top cleaner, just the proofing spray. When doing the spray, treat the car as though it was having the roof repainted and mask off everything that is not the fabric roof. You will be amazed at the results you can achieve and once you have the routine in play, it is easy to keep it going.
    Jim M
    Great tips Jim. Thanks
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz