The New Cooper S E

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I’ve been checking out a few online reviews and I’m quite taken with the MinEEEE! It seems a great drive and while it’s obviously not the most practical EV choice, it’s certainly the most fun - proving it’s a PROPER MINI! The pricing levels are pretty convincing too, but I was worried to hear recently that the £3.5k Government EV Grant is going to be withdrawn, which seems insane. It’s probably a major factor in getting people into EVs, as it makes purchase a more realistic Mini World alternative to, say, a well-specced Cooper or a decent S, so why remove the incentive? It’s not something I’m seriously considering at the moment, but for many, the lack of financial incentive could be the difference between sticking with V-Power and switching to Volt-Power.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    The plug in grant I don’t think will be removed for a good few years the government is going hell for leather on green issues like just today dropping most of the red tape for new onshore wind farms when it had become virtually impossible to plan and get permission for new sites with the many obstacles. What they are considering is moving the goal posts to encourage better longer range EVs that don’t require as many charging stops when traveling hence not filling charging spots that are limited. The example being instead of just qualifying because you can travel real world over 70 miles on pure electric the suggested solution is to keep the current grant for Cars able to travel over 250 miles per charge full grant, Cars able to travel over 200 miles (industry standard) 75% grant, Cars below the industry standard 50% grant.

The only reason this Car simply does not work for me and I do low mileage is it’s not a second Car and I like my trips down South or up North. While I can do as little as 12 miles some weeks when it does go out to play it can do 200 - 300 miles round trip or in the one direction. When I have my F56 Coop nearly six year old on 22k miles I’d be mad to jump in right now on a SE. It’s a Car MINI should have done three or four years ago. If they crack 200 miles plus in the second gen and my Car is at that age it starts needing proper work then yes. Still fancy a model 3 mind :) Neighbours performance 3 is just absurdly good especially when like me I’ve been a EV fan boy since around 2009.

Of course we benefit in Scotland with interest free financing of EVs through our own initiative. Electric Vehicle Loan as they call it.

Thinking about purchasing an electric car or van? The interest-free Electric Vehicle Loan, funded by Transport Scotland (an agency of the Scottish Government), currently offers drivers in Scotland loans of:

up to £35,000 to cover the cost of purchasing a new pure electric / plug-in hybrid vehicle

up to £10,000 to cover the cost of purchasing a new electric motorcycle or scooter

The loan has a repayment term of up to six years. The purchased electric vehicle, motorcycle or scooter should be the only plug-in vehicle owned by the applicant and must be eligible for the 'plug-in car, motorcycle and van grants' funded by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) or listed as a category 2 or 3 car (except plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with a list price of over £60,000 which are not eligible for the loan). Second hand vehicles are not eligible, with the exception of ex-demonstrator vehicles that are less than 12 months old and have less than 6,000 miles on the odometer.
    Last edited by Stewart; 3rd March 2020 at 01:04 AM.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Very interesting Stewart, lots of useful info there. Good news about the EV Grant. I heard a Government Minister on ‘Question Time’ or ‘Politics Live’ saying they were ditching the grant and re-investing the money in infrastructure, which seemed a bit counter-intuitive in that if folks don’t buy EV’s the infrastructure is redundant, so your news is indeed positively charged! I hadn’t heard about the EV Loan Scheme - another well kept secret... Combined with low interest rates it sounds quite promising.

Like you, I don’t do high miles in any of my cars (Mini/MGB/Fabia), but once in a while like to drive off to the Highlands & Islands, so I appreciate the ‘unrestricted’ nature of good old V-Powered engines. Although trying to find an open petrol station in the quieter parts of the Highlands on a Sunday - especially one which sells 98/99 Octane juice - brings back uncomfortable memories!

Speaking of ‘Old Tech’, spent yesterday ‘de-hibernating’ the MGB ready for its MOT and hopefully a decent Spring & Summer.
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 4th March 2020 at 04:02 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    2017 F56 JCW & 2016 R60
    I cancelled my Mini Electric order this morning. Change in circumstances mean that I may need a car that will take me more miles on a single charge than the Mini would allow and I don't want the hassle of having to charge mid-journey. So I'm keeping the JCW for the foreseeable and have ordered a couple of mods to make it even more fun, a Bluespark tuning box and a K&N air intake.
    2017 F56 JCW Cooper S
    2016 R60 All4 Cooper S: All boxes ticked.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by nobbyclark View Post
    I cancelled my Mini Electric order this morning. Change in circumstances mean that I may need a car that will take me more miles on a single charge than the Mini would allow and I don't want the hassle of having to charge mid-journey. So I'm keeping the JCW for the foreseeable and have ordered a couple of mods to make it even more fun, a Bluespark tuning box and a K&N air intake.
    That’s a shame that the SE no longer fits in with your lifestyle. Looking forward to the changes to the F56 however
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    2017 F56 JCW & 2016 R60
    Now waiting for a break in the rain so I can get outside and start wielding the spanners!
    2017 F56 JCW Cooper S
    2016 R60 All4 Cooper S: All boxes ticked.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    It's been a long wait indeed for the rain to stop this year.
    Fingers crossed Coronavirus can’t swim...