R56 thermostat housing split

Car
    Mini Cooper S r56 2008
    That's me joined the list of owners that have suffered coolant loss due to split thermostat housing. What were MINI thinking making this out of plastic?
    Anyone know if there is an upgrade option to change to steel one. Bit of a long shot. But I would have liked to purchase an improved item instead of fitting like for like. Better than having the worry that it will probably happen again. Lucky I was only 1/4 mile away from house when the steam blew out. Might have known about it sooner if there was coolant temp gauge fitted in the car as standard. (like every other car I know about)
    Even with all its downfalls, still loving the MINI though.

My header tank had a hairline crack in it. Had to rebuild my engine as it overheated and fried everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    Mini Cooper S r56 2008
    Mine looks like it started as a leak from the coolant reservoir grommet that goes in the top of the rad. It's completely gone now. Can only assume I had been losing coolant over last few trips and it's overheated which caused the thermostat housing to split. Sitting in road works when it happened. Hoping the housing and grommet are the only problems. Won't find out till the new parts arrive on Tuesday and get the system topped up again.
    Hope I don't have an engine rebuild like you. Although a head decoke would be good.......

Took 6 weeks was a total nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    I just replaced a cracked thermostat housing.... well my local friendly mechanic did as I watched a few videos and figured my patience would run out.
    Fortunately I heard a bubbling after I came home one night so fingers crossed my topping up caught it before it did any damage.

Car
    Mini Cooper S r56 2008
    changing thermostatic housing wasn't that bad a job, just tight for bigger hands. Took a few runs to get all the air out of system. Looks like I got home before engine boiled and did more damage.
    Wait to see what happens next.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmchar View Post
    changing thermostatic housing wasn't that bad a job, just tight for bigger hands. Took a few runs to get all the air out of system. Looks like I got home before engine boiled and did more damage.
    Wait to see what happens next.
    Good that’s it’s good to go and no further damage
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Pleased that you got it sorted with no further damage
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz