Diesel option ........advice today if poss

Car
    2018 Mini Cooper S JCW
    Right guys, I have the option on what, to me, has been an iconic car on the road the last 10 yrs or so.........its a 2012 but its a diesel.

I paid Evans Halshaw 'move me closer' to get it up from Birmingham to Falkirk.
    Loved the idea of it ......... middle of last week I got the panic about diesel and the current market.
    They told me on Friday it was now here, I called them yesterday to cancel without seeing it, as I knew if I DID go and see it, heart would rule head without thinking.
    This and the fact I do about 30 odd miles a day to and from work, but consumption at the moment on the S is a bit of a pain.

Went to Edinburgh test drive a different car, different model, and petrol at a different dealer instead, less engine size and though Ok it might be the one for me ........not doing any deal.

Theres times I cant sleep at night, last night was one of those nights. I went a jaunt over the Queensferry Crossing and back .......... saying Good Morning to the Kelpies!
    On my way back around 330this morning I popped down to the dealer where the 'move me closer' was cos my curiosity was doing my nut in.

WOW..............even in that light ,shes such a looker!!!

I know now as I type this its 11am, that dealer has just opened ...........the car no longer has my 'reserve' on it.

Guys what do I do ????
    The butt has fallen out the diesel market, this we know ..........but .........................but ..................... wow!

thanks

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    What is it? Thought you just got the S which is what you wanted?
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Nothing wrong with a diesel and probably a good time to buy if it suits you. Drive the car and see if you like it then make your decision. I wouldn’t write it off just because it’s a “smoker”
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Nothing wrong with a Diesel
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    I bought a R55 SD 4 years ago. One of the only down sides against the petrol is there is no pops or bangs from the exhaust, the other is that there is very few performance parts (not that they are needed as stage 1 is just a remap & stage 2 is remap and DPF removal).
    There is plenty of torque on tap to keep up with most petrols until speeds get silly but then when you drive it sensibly the fuel economy goes sky high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lots of scaremongering over diesel. I have one but personally don't like them, but the biggie for you to work out is whether any proposed ULEZ zones would affect you.

I don't commute and don't visit cities that often so they won't affect me and my 530d is staying put; but if you drive into Edinburgh daily for example, then I definitely wouldn't be buying one. Every council will be looking at the money generated in London, and fancying some of that.

Never mind the fact that the ULEZ charge is under false pretences - if you were that serious about air quality, you'd sort out the buses, idling taxis and lorries etc. But regardless, work out what your usage is.

Also if you do low mileage you'll just cause problems for yourself with EGRs and DPFs etc on a modern diesel

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Iconic diesel... an oxymoron...?

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    F54 SD
    My wife bought a R56 Diesel clubman Cooper with nearly all the toys about 5 years ago and what a brilliant wee car
    Excellent on fuel excellent to drive and what a workhorse, even I was sad to see it go but she replaced it with the newer f54 sd 190 JCW spec with literally all the toys apart from a heated screen and wow absolutely awesome car I can’t fault it and what a sound system Harmon kardon wow
    My own car is now parked up in the garage and not really drove it for ages now since her swapping

Depends on what mileage your doing I think but the torque of those engines are pretty impressive in all gears

Good luck
    One think to check and I was none the wiser 5 year ago is

The blood bag (adblue) will need changed at or around 80,000 miles
    Bit of a cost at the stealers or do it yourself like I did, only problem I had was one securing nut on the blood bag housing

Only thing I paid out on that wee car in 5 years was

Blood bag, full set discs pads and tyres

Got mini service package thrown in so no cost there

Good luck whatever you decide

But me personally I’d stick with diesel

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Super Dooper; 10th June 2019 at 04:44 PM.