65 Plate cooper s Hatch. Known problem?

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Hi wonder if anyone knows anything about known issues with this particular car. One of my colleagues has this model with 33,000 on clock. Car came up with a warning light so had it checked out at a friends garage prior to going to the dealership 17th June. Computer indicated a sensor fault. Sensor was renewed but on a test drive to check all was ok, same warning light came on indicating sensor. Further investigation on why the car was demonstrating several issue with electrical system uncovered damage to wiring. Saw picks with normal wire width, further along its length, wire was noticeably thicker, swollen with water. According to this mechanic there is an issue with some hatches developing leaks in a reservoir (think that's what he said) with water going onto damage the electrics. His verdict is the wiring loom needs replacing. Mega expensive job. 2.5k for parts then labour on top. I said to Fiona I would ask you guys with your expert knowledge of the mini, if any of you have are aware of such a fault being an issue. Also any advice for her? As you can imagine she's gutted. With such low mileage do you think she should pursue this through the dealer she bought it from. Fairburns. Until this mechanic attached the engine to the computer it has only ever been serviced etc by the dealership. Because of the cost of repairs - mates rates she reckons dealership quote will see her little immaculate wee mini head to the scrap yard.

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Not something I’ve ever heared of sorry
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Not one I have heard of ,did you keep pics of affected wiring ?
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Get her to speak to BMW UK, that's ridiculous for a car of that age which is presumably just out of warranty. Dealers are useless at times like this, she needs to take it higher.

Get folk like Watchdog, Citizens Advice etc on the case if need be to put pressure on. But I can't see this writing the car off, must still be worth over £10k surely?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Looking at the post the car hasn’t been to a dealer yet and only a independent garage so no point taking it higher at this stage.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

^^^ yes, this. That'll teach me for not reading it properly!

See what the dealership says, but my advice stands if they start mucking her about (which is likely IME with main dealers)

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    ^^^ yes, this. That'll teach me for not reading it properly!

See what the dealership says, but my advice stands if they start mucking her about (which is likely IME with main dealers)
    Thanks for the replies guys. She has pics of the damage. I dont. Will pass this advice to her. She said car is worth just under 10K hence why repair bill of that amount would likely see it being written off. Thank you

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Dealer has advised Fi that they will undertake the work on her mini as a goodwill gesture. Thonk there will be some cost to her but nothing compared to the cost of work needed. Pretty good since no blood has been spilled in the pursuit of a remedy

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Great result then

Car
    2017 F56 JCW & 2016 R60
    Happened to my old Disco 3 as some brain surgeon of a designer at LR decided to put the wiring loom connecting the air suspension at each corner in mostly exposed parts of the underbody. I don't think the Mini has such a problem, although water can get in to any car if there are rotten seals, opened windows or blocked gutters.
    2017 F56 JCW Cooper S
    2016 R60 All4 Cooper S: All boxes ticked.