Brake upgrade

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Cool, is there any benefit of going for drilled and grooved instead of just grooved?

I heard that drilled weakens the disc (more chance of cracking) and doesn't add much benefit anyway.
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210
    Blazing Red II, 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with Eagle F1s 225/45r17, JCW 210 Tuning Kit, Black Door Handles, Team HEKO Wind Deflectors, Black Grille and Grille Strip, Black Front and Rear Light Surrounds, Retrofitted Driving Modes, JB4 Tune

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehjack View Post
    Cool, is there any benefit of going for drilled and grooved instead of just grooved?

I heard that drilled weakens the disc (more chance of cracking) and doesn't add much benefit anyway.
    The holes aid with cooling and the dissipation of gas but I notice the difference more with the holes when driving in the rain.
    I’ve had the same disks on GP1499 for 6.5 years (over 30K miles of driving) and I would trust them on a track day today.
    Plus the look a lot sexier than normal disks.

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Quote Originally Posted by CiderFex View Post
    The holes aid with cooling and the dissipation of gas but I notice the difference more with the holes when driving in the rain.
    I’ve had the same disks on GP1499 for 6.5 years (over 30K miles of driving) and I would trust them on a track day today.
    Plus the look a lot sexier than normal disks.

I do think they look nice yes

I will go for the drilled and grooved. If they do crack then they are cheap enough and easy enough to replace in the future anyway
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210
    Blazing Red II, 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with Eagle F1s 225/45r17, JCW 210 Tuning Kit, Black Door Handles, Team HEKO Wind Deflectors, Black Grille and Grille Strip, Black Front and Rear Light Surrounds, Retrofitted Driving Modes, JB4 Tune

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I do think they look nice yes

I will go for the drilled and grooved. If they do crack then they are cheap enough and easy enough to replace in the future anyway
    I’ll be amazed if you can abuse them enough to crack them.

I've got drilled discs, and I've had smoke coming off my pads (oops) and the discs aren't cracked.

Buy a decent make and they'll be fine

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Would it better to spend a bit more money for a big brake kit on the front only?

Such as tarox etc?
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Would it better to spend a bit more money for a big brake kit on the front only?

Such as tarox etc?
    Imo no a good set of pads and disks are more than adequate.

I run the R53jcw/R56 calipers on my r53 and its more than good enuf don't get me wrong i love the look of BBK's
    But its a lot of dollar!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    New sig coming soon

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Haha yeah it's a crazy amount of money for a BBK.

I think I will go new discs and pads route since it's only a few hundred and will make a huge difference.
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    We where going to put the JCW brakes on Megan’s 210 just before we traded it in. A better pad and disk will make a difference
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Seems a common conversion on the older R50 is to fit the front calipers off of the R56. Anybody on here done that..?? I missed out on elfmans R56 calipers a while back and have toyed with the idea ever since
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'