Brake upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Has anyone ever put BMW M brakes on a mini F5X? I've done some research and it seems like they should fit. I found some really cheap calipers and rotors for sale and wondered if it was worth trying?

Or would I be better just to change the rotors, pads and brake lines?
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210
    Blazing Red II, 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with Eagle F1s 225/45r17, JCW 210 Tuning Kit, Black Door Handles, Team HEKO Wind Deflectors, Black Grille and Grille Strip, Black Front and Rear Light Surrounds, Retrofitted Driving Modes, JB4 Tune

Car
    F56 GP
    If you're going for better performance on a budget then uprated brake lines (and fluid) along with better pads and discs will work wonders. The pads and discs will be what enhances your stopping power - the lines and fluid will simply improve the consistency and feel of your braking set up.

If however you simply fancy sticking on some M-performance brakes then why not - just bear in mind that you may need different wheels in order to clear the bigger brakes and that you might run into issues with certain wheels fitting inside the arches and clearing the OEM suspension struts.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Yeah I don't really fancy paying £1,000+ for the JCW brembos. But the brakes need an upgrade because I can't stop

I'll probably just get some new rotors and pads then. Any recommendations? I was leaning towards EBC or Ferodo.

Then at some point in the future get uprated brake lines and dot 4 fluid.
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210
    Blazing Red II, 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s with Eagle F1s 225/45r17, JCW 210 Tuning Kit, Black Door Handles, Team HEKO Wind Deflectors, Black Grille and Grille Strip, Black Front and Rear Light Surrounds, Retrofitted Driving Modes, JB4 Tune

Car
    F56 GP
    I can't comment on pads and discs unfortunately - I've always found the OEM discs and pads perfectly capable but I do have a JCW with the bigger brakes from the factory.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali JCW View Post
    I can't comment on pads and discs unfortunately - I've always found the OEM discs and pads perfectly capable but I do have a JCW with the bigger brakes from the factory.
    Yeah the brakes on a cooper s are basically useless lol.
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I will always swear by M-Tec drilled and grooved disks, EBC Yellow Stuff pads, HEL braided lines and Castrol React fluid.
    No MINI will ever need more stopping power than what the above will give you.
    It’s the set up I’ve had on GP1499 for over 6 years now and as soon as the R59 JCW needs new pads I’ll be upgrading the whole braking system to the above as well.

That’s just my opinion though...

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Quote Originally Posted by CiderFex View Post
    I will always swear by M-Tec drilled and grooved disks, EBC Yellow Stuff pads, HEL braided lines and Castrol React fluid.
    No MINI will ever need more stopping power than what the above will give you.
    It’s the set up I’ve had on GP1499 for over 6 years now and as soon as the R59 JCW needs new pads I’ll be upgrading the whole braking system to the above as well.

That’s just my opinion though...

Cheers!

Going to get that ordered pronto. My mini is actually scary at the moment because of the power it has...
    MINI F55 Cooper S 210

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehjack View Post
    Cheers!

Going to get that ordered pronto. My mini is actually scary at the moment because of the power it has...
    lol
    No probs.

I forgot to say that the M-Tec disks are unbelievably cheap as well, which is a huge bonus.

I've tried a few different pads over the years, but I can't recommend Ferodo DS2500 enough - great stopping power when they're cold, and fantastic on track as well.

I made them smoke after 10 laps of Knockhill but they were still working brilliantly

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I run M-Tec dilled and grooved all round on our Mini and never had any issues. i run them all round on my A4 Avant as well
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'