On Sunday 25 August, the Grampian Transport Museum are hosting an event to celebrate 60 years of the Mini.

Already confirmed are a Mini van, a 998cc Cooper, a 1071 Cooper S, and a 1293 cc Janspeed Cooper S at the fast end of things from the BMC era; along with an Outspan orange Mini and a Mini Nessie from the one off spectrum and promises of a championship winning BMW era JCW Mini.

It is likely that John Clark will attend, with one of the anniversary specials if possible; it is hoped that test drives may be on offer although that is very much up to them. Also being discussed is the possibility of something like an auto-test on the museum’s track, although this is very much TBC at this stage.

The museum are keen to capture data for each vehicle, as they’d like 60 different variants of Mini on the day and be able to speak to their owners to find out more about their cars – so it’s best if each member registers individually. They can however allocate space for a club stand/presence if requested – entrants should mention the club (i.e. NMS) on the entry form.

There is free entry to the event for all Minis and complimentary admission to the museum for Mini entrants on the day. If you’ve never been to the museum, you really are missing out – the museum is a fabulous thing to visit, has won lots of awards, and a third of the exhibits are changed each year; so even if you’ve been before, chances are it’s a lot different now. Think of making a weekend of it and possibly visiting the Moray Motor Museum as well – they prepare historic racers for events at Goodwood etc, and is well worth a visit if you’re in the area.

A road run on the Saturday or Sunday morning, ending at GTM before the public is due to be admitted is being mooted – possibly a run from Ballindalloch Castle over the Lecht to Alford. For all you Sassenachs who have never been beyond the end of the country’s motorway network you could be in for a treat – the Lecht is a fabulous, unmissable section of road.

Trade stands – tuners/parts suppliers/retailers will be invited to attend. If anyone has suggestions as to who may want to take part, please let me know and I’ll pass it on.

Enter here:

http://www.gtm.org.uk/events/60-years-of-the-mini/