Gp3 confirmation

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 251 to 260 of 260
  1. #251
    The idea of 2 specs seems reasonable, after all Renault have done it for years with The Cup option.

    But a 'Cup' spec jars massively with an autobox IMO

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


    Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

  2. #252
    Mark Johnston
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    St Fergus, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    The idea of 2 specs seems reasonable, after all Renault have done it for years with The Cup option.

    But a 'Cup' spec jars massively with an autobox IMO

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Well it took Renault 3 tries to make the EDC clio any good nobody reviewed it well until the trophy 220

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  3. #253
    Renaultsport products tend to follow a pattern. When their new car launches it tends to somewhat disappoint until there’s been at least two or three revisions of the model. It’s those later revisions that then blow folks away and give Renaultsport their reputation. It happened with the R26 225, it happened with R27 250, it happened with the Clio EDC and it’s happening with the latest Megane.

    Don’t get me wrong - when Renault are on top of their game I think they’re unbeatable. No other hot-hatch manufacturer produces cars with the same degree of focus in my opinion. But they don’t have a great track-record of getting it right straight out of the box.
    Deposit placed: F56 GP

  4. #254
    Reading the “race spec” version again my main thought is what is the actual point ?
    Removing all of the bits mentioned couldn’t amount to much more than 15-20kg surely ?
    If true it seems a very poor attempt if I’m honest.
    The only real sensible reasoning for the two models would be the £40K barrier as mentioned previously.
    It also harks back to the removal of the rear wash wipe in the GP1 to save 2kgs in weight but then they put two 25kg Recaros in the front.

    I don’t know what a pair of MINI JCW Seats weigh but surely one of the first, and easiest things to do to create a more “race spec” car, would be to put two reclining bucket seats up front to save a decent amount of dead weight.


    Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

  5. #255
    Mark Johnston
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    St Fergus, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by CiderFex View Post
    Reading the “race spec” version again my main thought is what is the actual point ?
    Removing all of the bits mentioned couldn’t amount to much more than 15-20kg surely ?
    If true it seems a very poor attempt if I’m honest.
    The only real sensible reasoning for the two models would be the £40K barrier as mentioned previously.
    It also harks back to the removal of the rear wash wipe in the GP1 to save 2kgs in weight but then they put two 25kg Recaros in the front.

    I don’t know what a pair of MINI JCW Seats weigh but surely one of the first, and easiest things to do to create a more “race spec” car, would be to put two reclining bucket seats up front to save a decent amount of dead weight.


    Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.
    Dont even bother with reclining you've no back seats so put in real buckets. Pair of recaro pole positions. It's a 40k car so those seats are justifiable

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  6. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    Dont even bother with reclining you've no back seats so put in real buckets. Pair of recaro pole positions. It's a 40k car so those seats are justifiable

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I mentioned reclining buckets, eg Recaro Sportster CS type seats, for easier adjustability for a more friendly “daily use” scenario.
    I know that some would disagree but they’d achieve the two main objectives of 1: a more planted and secure driving position whilst driving “spiritedly” & 2: to save loads of weight.



    Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

  7. #257
    Whilst there's no back seats, I'd always prefer a tilt function for the fronts as it just makes things that bit easier.

    As it is, I'm skeptical as to how much weight the GP itself will save over a regular JCW, let alone whether there will be a further weight saving between GP models (should they offer more than one level of trim).

    I do like the seats that have been shown so far but they certainly could be more supportive and I'm guessing they could be lighter. At the end of the day though, I'd much prefer a heavier, comfier seat than something lightweight but unusable. Petrol Ped has just reviewed the Megane RS Trophy R which comes with rather lightweight seats. I was surprised to hear just how comfortable they were so it can definitely be done.
    Deposit placed: F56 GP

  8. #258
    Mark Johnston
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    St Fergus, Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    Whilst there's no back seats, I'd always prefer a tilt function for the fronts as it just makes things that bit easier.

    As it is, I'm skeptical as to how much weight the GP itself will save over a regular JCW, let alone whether there will be a further weight saving between GP models (should they offer more than one level of trim).

    I do like the seats that have been shown so far but they certainly could be more supportive and I'm guessing they could be lighter. At the end of the day though, I'd much prefer a heavier, comfier seat than something lightweight but unusable. Petrol Ped has just reviewed the Megane RS Trophy R which comes with rather lightweight seats. I was surprised to hear just how comfortable they were so it can definitely be done.
    It was a trophy 300 he had wasnt it? That's what he posted on his instagram for a week or so. The trophy gets recaro cs

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  9. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    Petrol Ped has just reviewed the Megane RS Trophy R which comes with rather lightweight seats. I was surprised to hear just how comfortable they were so it can definitely be done.
    Since he has become a lot more involved with the manufacturers I have stopped watching any of his vids due to the very high chances that his views could easily be “influenced”.
    It’s a shame ‘cos I used to like watching them.



    Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.

  10. #260
    Racing buckets are comfy- after all, a driver doing a night stint in an endurance race needs to be comfortable to do his best work. I drove 2500 miles in a fortnight in mine with no issues.

    Audi had Pole Positions in that last of the line Mk1 TT thingy, one of the best things about the car IMO

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk


    Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow Us
About us
You'll find details of our packed social calendar including MINI Runs, organised car shows, meet-ups for munchies, and other social events. There's also a wealth of information on the three latest generations of the new MINI from BMW, including owners pictures, common fault fixes, "how-to's", owner reviews and a bucket load of advice for all new MINI owners. Whether you have one of the first MINI's from the early 2000's, a second generation R56, or are planning a purchase of a nice shiny new F series, whether your car is a MINI One, a Cooper, Cooper S, JCW or a GP, THIS is the web site for you!