Gp3 confirmation

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    The 2 systems dont have to be independent eddie. If the car can detect or predict slip before it occurs. Then applying a brake would cause the diff to lock even sooner making it more effective.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    In terms of suspension specs then - nothing fully confirmed from Mini themselves them?

Bloody hell this has been the longest dragged - out launch ever

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    I think all that has been confirmed suspension wise is that it will have tweaked jcw suspension and that it will be mini suspension rather than buying in suspension like the gp2 did.

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    The 2 systems dont have to be independent eddie. If the car can detect or predict slip before it occurs. Then applying a brake would cause the diff to lock even sooner making it more effective.

Is there any examples of this in a road car?
    I'm not saying you couldn't Mark just doesn't seem like something a manufacturer would do. Also theres no mention anywhere of it having an LSD.

Car
    F56 GP
    Eddie... not sure what the deal is here. I'm simply communicating information that's already in circulation.

Here's an excerpt from MotoringFile's latest article, concerning the ARB and tyres.

In talking with folks from MINI, it’s clear that they’ve poured years of development into this car making it feel a bit different than the other two previous GPs. The 301 hp four cylinder drives the front wheels but makes use of BMW’s innovative new ARB traction control that is almost predictive in its action (vs the current DSC which feels reactive). Putting that power down is a revised suspension and non-runflat Hanooks Ventus S1 EVOs. Oh and those four piston front brakes? They’re also unique to the car.
    Now it's one thing for a vehicle to be sold with an optional tyre package (such as the new Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres) but it's quite another for a manufacturer to develop a new tyre for just one model of car. BMW have a strong history of this and, in my opinion, it's a nice demonstration of their commitment to the new GP model. It's something they could have easily foregone. For the record, BMW also went in this direction with the GP2 (for which they partnered with Kumho) and with the M135i (for which they partnered with Michelin). I'm sure there's more examples - these are just the first two I can think of. The GP3 is therefore not the only car to have this level of development but I think it's a positive point that should be applauded.

It also addresses one of the chief complaints that many reviewers had with the regular JCW. Granted, OEM tyre choice was dictated in part by which wheel option the buyer went for however many reviews criticised the regular JCW hatch for poor tyre choice from the factory. It's nice to see MINI addressing this head on and ensuring that the GP comes with a level of performance rubber that they are happy with.

The ARB system is also being adapted from BMW's electric and hybrid models. As far as I'm aware the forthcoming GP3 is the first petrol-engined car to make use of this new technology.

From the same MotoringFile article, concerning the engine:

Powering the GP will be the B48A20T1 which debuted in the X2 M35i and is used on the new JCW Clubman and Countryman. This engine features a number of physical changes over the previous JCW power plant. Reinforced crankshaft, larger main bearings and new pistons fitted with a reduced compression ratio (9.5:1 vs 10.2:1) all allows for a larger turbocharger and increased boost. The intake airflow tract is also improved on the B48A20T1 for higher flow while the cooling system has been upgraded to keep it all at a proper operating temperature.
    You're correct in thinking that the new engine has been shared with the Clubman 300 and Countryman 300 - this has already been pretty well covered. If you read the article however then you'll see that there is indeed a large number of physical changes over the existing JCW engine used in the JCW Hatch. Whether the Clubman 300 and Countryman 300 models also share these physical upgrades is irrelevant in my opinion - the GP3 is the only vehicle making use of this new engine in a FWD configuration. Also, if I remember correctly, then the engine from the GP2 was also used (unchanged) in the Countyrman JCW and Paceman JCW of the day. Both MINI models were sold with the same quoted power output as the GP2. Furthermore, it was shared with a number of PSA models. Did that detract from the appeal of the GP2? In my opinion, not at all. Going beyond MINI, the new power plant is also being used in a number of BMW models. Again, this does not, in my opinion, detract from the GP3.

Concerning the suspension:

Drawing on tradition-steeped John Cooper Works expertise, the suspension developed specifically for this model will be precisely adapted to the exceptionally high output of the new engine.
    This statement is taken from the MINI Corporate Communications from February of this year. At face value it confirms that the GP3 will have a bespoke suspension set up setting it apart from other JCW variants. Whether that bespoke suspension set up turns out to be fully adjustable or not remains to be seen. Whether it utilises components shared with other JCW models is, in my opinion, inconsequential. I've always viewed the GP as the pinnacle of JCW development. If the car takes "regular" JCW components and develops them to a higher level for higher performance then that's bang on the design brief. If the new suspension has been developed and set up in a specific way for the GP then I, for one, am happy.

I personally have very little interest in buying something for the sake of it being limited edition, or for the appeal of having something that is otherwise unavailable on other makes and models. My interest in the GP is simply to own and drive the highest performing MINI that MINI themselves produce. I've enjoyed each and every one of my MINIs since my R56 Cooper and I'm really excited about getting the keys to my GP and taking it for a drive. Do I particularly care that it says "GP" on the back? Not at all. I could happily de-badge it and drive it. Would I mind if MINI started selling individual GP parts? Not at all - and if I did I'd be hypocritical. I did, after all, install a GP2 diffuser on my R56 JCW. I also removed the back seats, added a JCW strut brace and swapped out to Black Bullet alloys because they reminded me of the GP2 wheels.

I fully understand that we all have different tastes but it feels that some of us are wanting to do more than simply pour cold water over the new GP. I'm not saying we all need to love it or even like but I think we could at least respect the fact that some people are enthusiastic for it. It's great to have a healthy debate but I think we should at least be mindful that some people are going to have these sitting on their driveways at some point in the future.

As it is, you are correct in stating that much of what we're all going on is hearsay. MINI have yet to confirm most of the technical details for the forthcoming GP. In that light, I also think it's a bit daft that so many people are condemning the new model as such condemnation is equally based on hearsay.

EDIT:

On a completely different thread, here's an interesting part that I noticed at the bottom of MotoringFile's latest article:

The public debut of the JCW GP will be at the 2019 LA Autoshow in late November. The first deliveries should happen at the end of the year in Europe and late winter in North America. Final production is set for 3,000 units and all will be individually numbered. Read more in our exclusive report here.
    I'm skeptical about the delivery times given what other sources have said but I'll keep several fingers crossed just in case.
    Last edited by Alasdair JCW; 8th October 2019 at 01:54 PM.
    F56 GP - Build week on pause

I dunno, model-specific tyres just sounds like a way to charge £££ when you burn through a set

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_JCW View Post
    Is there any examples of this in a road car?
    I'm not saying you couldn't Mark just doesn't seem like something a manufacturer would do. Also theres no mention anywhere of it having an LSD.
    Volkswagen performance pack gtis have a mechanical LSD with an E diff

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair JCW View Post
    As it is, you are correct in stating that much of what we're all going on is hearsay. MINI have yet to confirm most of the technical details for the forthcoming GP. In that light, I also think it's a bit daft that so many people are condemning the new model as such condemnation is equally based on hearsay.
    I'm not condemning it on hearsay at all... I'm condemning it on looks alone!

I'm not saying it is going to be rubbish it's just not a £40k car. They had the chance to do so much better and make it what a GP should be but they've failed miserably and the cancelled orders will highlight this.

As for the specs, I haven't heard much good about this new gearbox hopefully they're able to give it a little software tweak to make it as good as the ZF box which was phenomenal.

Car
    F56 GP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_JCW View Post
    I'm not condemning it on hearsay at all... I'm condemning it on looks alone!

As for the specs, I haven't heard much good about this new gearbox hopefully they're able to give it a little software tweak to make it as good as the ZF box which was phenomenal.
    Completely agree. The lack of a manual offering aside, I'd have been very happy if the GP was coming with a ZF.

Fingers crossed they can do something with the Aisin unit.
    F56 GP - Build week on pause

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Well I’m not too sure what to say about all this. I will agree that it’ll sell because it’s a limited edition car. These things always sell that’s why they do it. Will folk buy it for the reason it’s the “best” MINI produced I doubt it. I certainly will reserve judgement until I’ve been in one a bit like I did with my GP1.

Going on looks alone and what I’ve read I’m certainly not impressed with it. It looks ‘tacky’ for sure wether that was meant or not then who knows. I can see people adding the extra arch extensions to other F models ... it certainly wouldn’t be me.

The spoiler at the back looks terrible for some reason, especially given the fact MINI did so well with the GP1 spoiler, but again that will appeal to those that want something different to add to their F series car. I agree with Andrew it’s disappointing that they haven’t added a rear diffuser given that it’s now a common upgrade on the F series.

Specific tyres ? Why bother ... they’ll be a small few that will replace like for like tyres everyone else will go with what they prefer or have preferred over the years.

A 300 bhp MINI in manual form ... I’m sure there’s plenty of those kicking about at the moment in the F series range. Just check FB every day and someone is getting one mapped. Had they pushed the boat out to 350bhp then folk might have sat up and listened.

I on this occasion are with the minority on here by the sounds of it at the moment and don’t like it. They’ve removed the “GP” stamps from previous models and on this occasion I think they’ve got it wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I wonder why they’ve covered up the red GP inserts on the side of the rear wing ?

Sent from Yorkshire wi an hint o’ sarcasm.