Wireless charger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Might be ok on yours Mark I’ve got a wireless charger built into the arm rest in the Clubby. I like it for a top up charge but I find if you leave it on for any length of time it gets very hot for some reason.
    I do tend to leave the arm rest up whilst it charges just to try and keep it cool.

I have a wireless charger in the house which is excellent and the phone stays cool during the full charge.
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    So for mini connected does you phone have to be plugged in to the USB?

So how does the app work out of the car does it just save the last information the car had stored

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    To use the apps on MINI Connected it does need to be cabled up.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    You’d need to check if the “signal” would be strong enough to pass through the plastic and reach your phone to actually charge it up Mark.
    Some wireless chargers have a very weak signal and will only work through certain phone cases so I’m doubtful it’ll get through the bog standard plastic of a MINI centre console.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.
    Last edited by CiderFex; 4th February 2019 at 08:14 PM.

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    You could always totally cut away the inner part of the console and then put in your wireless charger. Mount it from underneath and just have it like the original one slightly recessed under the handbrake.
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

I fitted a wireless charging unit to a mk2 TT I had, it sat underneath a rubber mat in behind the handbrake and charged through the rubber mat and phone case
    Was hooked up to a USB port on a cig lighter adaptor fitted behind the centre console trim where I’d spliced in a female cig socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by goggs View Post
    I fitted a wireless charging unit to a mk2 TT I had, it sat underneath a rubber mat in behind the handbrake and charged through the rubber mat and phone case
    Was hooked up to a USB port on a cig lighter adaptor fitted behind the centre console trim where I’d spliced in a female cig socket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much what I plan on doing. As long as you buy a decent quality charger I've seen some that will even work though a desk so interior plastics shouldnt be an issue.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    My iPhone has sometimes struggled to keep charging when I had the case on it.
    It at have been a thick dense case or a faulty bell in charger, I have no idea but I just reverted back to the old fashioned method of a cable.

I would double check distances and thicknesses before you go the whole hg and wire it in. It may be worth getting a donor console to “modify” if required or at least give you a flat surface