Coilover question

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Hey all,

I hope someone can help me...

Has anyone had ST coilovers installed before? Are they any good?

I got a quote today from HF for the JCW Pro suspension and they were coming in at £1100 (inc the 10% discount). But then there is the cost of fitting (unless I decide to do it myself) and alignment thereafter. Which could easily be close to £1500!

I have found online that the ST's are roughly £600 (nearly half the price) and so far reviews are really good as they seem to be KW V1's but galvanised instead of the inox coating.

My budget is pretty much maxxed with the JCW ones and I know there is the added benefit of it being an official part so warranty is maintained. But is there any other reasons to go that route instead of going for the ST's? I guess I'm trying to stop myself spending too much money

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    I had kw V1s on my last mini and they are a very good set of coils as you say with kw you pay a bit more for the name and the inox coating but you could easily buy coatings and apply them yourself.

I loved the ride of v1s far more compliant than standard but the car had noticeably more grip when you threw it into bends, car also felt a lot more composed. The standard mini shocks and springs are crap imo they seem to find a perfect middle ground between being uncomfortable and allowing for lots of roll

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I had the ST-X coil overs fitted to my mk1 TT, they were a little firm but didn’t rattle my fillings loose ! The only issue I had was both rear spring corroded badly within 1 year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    Cheers guys. I guess since my mini is barely even a year old, it would be sensible to go for the JCW pro's. But it's my bank account that's telling me no haha

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehjack View Post
    Cheers guys. I guess since my mini is barely even a year old, it would be sensible to go for the JCW pro's. But it's my bank account that's telling me no haha
    Oh sorry is this for the f56. The jcw pro suspension is rebranded kw. I think they might be v1s as there is no adjustment on them to my knowledge

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    This was the kw stand at autosport a few weeks ago so you would actually be better off with v1s or st X because you will have height adjustment

Car
    F55 Mini Cooper S 210
    It's for a F55. Yeah I believe they are KW V1's but they have been finely tuned (dampers) specifically for mini. There is only height adjustment but they will only drop a maximum of 25mm.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I was sent from the dealer:

Includes: two stainless steel complete struts for the front axle, two Dampers with threaded and adjustable spring plates for the front axle, two dampers for the rear axle, two individual springs with an adjustable spring plate for the rear axle.

Height adjustable sports suspension (adjustable range: 10 mm to 20 mm), including coil springs in red.