Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F56 JCW Engine Updgades/Mods

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    F56 John Cooper Works

Default F56 JCW Engine Updgades/Mods

Hi,

I have a F56 JCW and I'm interested in doing a few mods to the car. I'm a total newbie when it comes to mods so any advice/info will be really appreciated!

I'm mainly interested in increasing the HP, probably just to Stage 1 - does anyone have any remap recommendations? Ideally in Scotland?

Is there anything else you'd recommend to change?

One thing I'm doing soon is taking the run flats off and changing over for Pilot Sport 4's because I HATE the run flats.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190111_085516.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	7732

Expect the below answers to add up to 1,000s when they start appearing.

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o sarcasm.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    F56 John Cooper Works

Oh I'm expecting that! I'm sure it'll all be worth it

Car
    F56 JCW Challenge & R55 Clubvan

Could look at the JB4 which a few have done, means it can be removed if the car needs to go back in the garage. Would also look at an ITG panel filter.

There is loads you can do
    MINI F56 John Cooper Works Challenge 20 - JCW Shift Light, JCW Pro Mats, JCW Carbon Fibre Gearknob, JCW Pro Diffuser, Chilli Red Engine Cover, Carbon Fuel Filler, Black Door Handles, DuellAG Splitter, DuellAG Carbon Fibre Spoiler, Airtec Intercooler, AWE Tuning S-FLO CAI, RSI Carbon Fibre Big Scoop, Mintex Challenge Track Pads - Still More To Come

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, Black Rota Blitz

EDIT: William's beat me to it.

Have a little look at post 78 in my thread if you like which documents our test experience with a JB4:

http://newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/...er-Works/page8

The JB4 tuning box can be had for around 400-500 which is around the same as a decent custom map.

A custom remap from a reputable tuner will (almost) always give you a little more power than an off-the-shelf item like the JB4 but the convenience of the JB4 is that you can install (and remove) it yourself in around 15 minutes. This may be important for you if you are concerned with maintaining a "stock" status for things like dealer visits or if you simply want to be able to remove the mod and either sell it on or install it on another vehicle.
    MINI F56 John Cooper Works
    18" Cup Spokes with Yokohama Advan AD08Rs, JCW Pro Aero Kit, JCW Pro Exhaust

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    F56 John Cooper Works

I'll definitely look at these, they sound quite promising!

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Lohen fast road F56 JCW

As yourself if you going to be satisfied with just a remap? or is your goal for greater power?

Option 1 which is the best value for money if you are contented with just doing that. Quality remap and panel filter is my recommendation also the standard equipment will take the slight increase in power.

Option 2 Is a basis for a longer term power upgrade progression. Intercooler upgrade, high flow cat down pipe and panel filter with cooler spark plugs because both of these will be required if you intent to develop your in the future.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    F56 John Cooper Works

I think I'd just be looking for what you've listed as option 1. Stage 1 remap would be enough power for me, I think. In terms of getting a tuning box over a remap, I'm not too fussed on keeping it "stock" for selling, etc. because I'm keeping this car for a good wee while. One thing I have read is that remaps affect the car's warranty, is this true? My warranty is out in 2020 so if I need to wait another year before being able to remap then I'll probably look at doing other mods.

Would it be silly to upgrade the panel filter before the remap? Or should I do both at the same time?

There's certainly no harm in doing the panel filter before the remap.

Technically speaking, a remap will void your warranty. Different folks have had different experiences with different manufacturers about whether it voids the whole warranty, the engine and drivetrain warranty or just the engine warranty. There's also a grey area in terms of whether MINI actually finds out about your warranty. On the F56 the ECU needs to be physically removed, opened and adjusted so there will be physical evidence on the car that it's been fiddled with. That having been said, the ECU is located deep within the engine bay so it's not something that a dealership would likely notice on first glance. Some dealers can be a little more "mod friendly" than others and will likely be keen to maintain your warranty for anything that's not directly related to the remap (if they know about it).

All that having been said though it's best to operate on the following principle. Only get a remap if you're happy with the risk of voiding your warranty. It's sods law that if something goes wrong then they'll find out about it.

The benefit of something like the JB4 is that it's a plug-and-play piggyback ECU and so, provided you remove it before visiting the dealer, there's no obvious way of them knowing about it. It literally takes around 15 minutes to install/ remove and will get you near-enough the same results as a custom map.
    MINI F56 John Cooper Works
    18" Cup Spokes with Yokohama Advan AD08Rs, JCW Pro Aero Kit, JCW Pro Exhaust

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Lohen fast road F56 JCW

If the warranty is important to you, I would not recommend you modify your car until it has ran out and this is a reasonably thing to do.

In my experience any modification will lead to loss of the warranty and with my previous cars they could down load data and send it away for analyisis to look for adnormal history to find away not to honour it. Note: Once you start this hiding game it also implies one has not declared it on their insurance and one would be at risk of finding out they don't have any insurance when they need it. They would also have major issues getting more if the worst case event was to happen.

Therefore the risks and rewards are a personal choice and trying to hide it is not worth the risk in my opinion and the lost of the warranty is nothing compared to getting caught with no insurance for such a little gain in performance.
    Lohen Fast road F56 JCW

Helix Clutch & lighten flywheel, Quaife ATB diff, Millteck sport down pipe with high flow cat, Forge intercooler, Eibach anti-roll bars, Eibach rear control bars, Manic stage 1 remap 95 ron, Bilstein B14 coilers lowered 30mm, Power flex bushes, panel filter, NGK plugs. Pilot sport 4 215/40/18Y tyres.