Garmin 55 Dash Cam - fitting...

Car
    Clubman Cooper S All4
    So, it would appear that the Garmin 55 is the recommended dash cam on this forum.

Has anybody hardwired one in on a F54 Clubman Cooper S, please?

I hate wires hanging about the place...

Any tips or advice gratefully received...
    Thanks!

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    I think Davy has. I’m sure he’ll be along shorty to confirm
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    William is right I’ve got the 55 fitted to my F54.

Are you going to fit it using the parking cable or just the standard cigarette lighter plug ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    F54 and F56
    Have you bought the Garmin 55 or you just thinking about a dash cam ?

You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    Clubman Cooper S All4
    Quote Originally Posted by EcosseGP View Post
    William is right I’ve got the 55 fitted to my F54.

Are you going to fit it using the parking cable or just the standard cigarette lighter plug ?

I was going to use parking and use the fuse box - with a piggy back, I was thinking?

Also... Is the 55 better to get that the 65w, please?

- - - Updated - - -

Not yet purchased... was thinking about purchasing and the 55 has come up on this illustrious forum as being well received.

I like it's size...
    I also like Garmin products... they seem well made with very good back up.

Would recommend something else?

Car
    F54 and F56
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I was going to use parking and use the fuse box - with a piggy back, I was thinking?

Also... Is the 55 better to get that the 65w, please?

- - - Updated - - -

Not yet purchased... was thinking about purchasing and the 55 has come up on this illustrious forum as being well received.

I like it's size...
    I also like Garmin products... they seem well made with very good back up.

Would recommend something else?
    I have the Garmin 55 plus fitted to mine but only because I got a deal on it as a bundle with the parking cable. It worked out cheaper than the 55 so it was a no brainier.
    I purchased it on the fact that Pete had got one and having had a look at it, it ticked most of the boxes I wanted it for.
    I would say that the ‘night’ quality on it isn’t the best but everything else is certainly up to the Garmin standard and like most of us I bought Garmin for the reputation and quality it usually comes with. Sometimes I think simple is better.
    Anyway I have the unit easily hidden behind the rear view mirror but it means that if you want to view anything on the screen you’ll be struggling. After it’s been set up I didn’t intent to touch it so I’m happy that it’s hidden and doesn’t interfere with anything else.
    You can also view any footage you’ve taken via the Virb app so you really don’t need to touch anything once you’ve got the settings sorted.
    Having checked the differences between the 55 and 65 I don’t think the 65 is worth the extra money but that’s your choice. The only real difference is the viewing angle 122 or 180 degrees.
    Anyway I have the dash cam hard wired into the fuse box and all the cable are hidden. It’s not a big job but it did take a wee bit of time working out how to do it neatly and then making up a wee extra loom (that’s not required) to make it easier to remove if I wanted to.
    The dash cam needs a permanent and switched feed along with an earth if you’re using the parking cable.
    The earth can be achieved by using the bolt to the bodywork to the left hand side of the glove box.
    I spoke to MINI to see how they would do it before I did anything and they said they’d remove the fuse box and just scotch lock the camera wiring onto two wires !
    Deciding that I didn’t want to do that I went down the route that you mentioned and bought two piggy back fuses (one micro and one standard) and used these. I’d initially removed the glove box but you don’t need to do that at all.
    Take off some of the door rubber near to the glove box, and that allows you access to the small panel with the airbag switch mounted on it. Gently pull that panel off and that then gives you a route to feed wires down to the glove box. I used a bit of plastic to feed the wires down.
    Run the wires up the near side A pillar and across the roof lining (there’s no airbags in the A pillar) and then I left the end of the cable on the drivers side of the rear view mirror. I secured the parking cable box to the side of the glove box just to make sure it didn’t rattle over time.
    Once I’d done that just pop in the fuse holders and you’re good to go. You can use any fused feed with a switched feed and for a live feed number 52 is wired but not used so I used that.
    I hope that helps ...
    I didn’t take many photos as it was cold and getting dark but here’s a couple to give you the idea.
    I can take a couple when I get the chance if you want to see the position of the camera etc.

Car
    Clubman Cooper S All4
    I have the Garmin 55 plus fitted to mine but only because I got a deal on it as a bundle with the parking cable. It worked out cheaper than the 55 so it was a no brainier.
    I purchased it on the fact that Pete had got one and having had a look at it, it ticked most of the boxes I wanted it for.
    I would say that the ‘night’ quality on it isn’t the best but everything else is certainly up to the Garmin standard and like most of us I bought Garmin for the reputation and quality it usually comes with. Sometimes I think simple is better.
    Anyway I have the unit easily hidden behind the rear view mirror but it means that if you want to view anything on the screen you’ll be struggling. After it’s been set up I didn’t intent to touch it so I’m happy that it’s hidden and doesn’t interfere with anything else.
    You can also view any footage you’ve taken via the Virb app so you really don’t need to touch anything once you’ve got the settings sorted.
    Having checked the differences between the 55 and 65 I don’t think the 65 is worth the extra money but that’s your choice. The only real difference is the viewing angle 122 or 180 degrees.
    Anyway I have the dash cam hard wired into the fuse box and all the cable are hidden. It’s not a big job but it did take a wee bit of time working out how to do it neatly and then making up a wee extra loom (that’s not required) to make it easier to remove if I wanted to.
    The dash cam needs a permanent and switched feed along with an earth if you’re using the parking cable.
    The earth can be achieved by using the bolt to the bodywork to the left hand side of the glove box.
    I spoke to MINI to see how they would do it before I did anything and they said they’d remove the fuse box and just scotch lock the camera wiring onto two wires !
    Deciding that I didn’t want to do that I went down the route that you mentioned and bought two piggy back fuses (one micro and one standard) and used these. I’d initially removed the glove box but you don’t need to do that at all.
    Take off some of the door rubber near to the glove box, and that allows you access to the small panel with the airbag switch mounted on it. Gently pull that panel off and that then gives you a route to feed wires down to the glove box. I used a bit of plastic to feed the wires down.
    Run the wires up the near side A pillar and across the roof lining (there’s no airbags in the A pillar) and then I left the end of the cable on the drivers side of the rear view mirror. I secured the parking cable box to the side of the glove box just to make sure it didn’t rattle over time.
    Once I’d done that just pop in the fuse holders and you’re good to go. You can use any fused feed with a switched feed and for a live feed number 52 is wired but not used so I used that.
    I hope that helps ...
    I didn’t take many photos as it was cold and getting dark but here’s a couple to give you the idea.
    I can take a couple when I get the chance if you want to see the position of the camera etc.

Wow! Davy, I really couldn't have hoped for such detailed help and advice!
    Thank you!

Did you need both piggybacks?
    I thought the fuses were "mini" - or is that what you call standard?

I think I'll go for the 55...

VERY MANY thanks again for your photos and the trouble you've taken!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! Davy, I really couldn't have hoped for such detailed help and advice!
    Thank you!

Did you need both piggybacks?
    I thought the fuses were "mini" - or is that what you call standard?

I think I'll go for the 55...

VERY MANY thanks again for your photos and the trouble you've taken!
    I didn't realise there was no airbag in the A post trim...

I have fitted my Valentine One on the driver's side - power coming from the OBD - and I've secreted the cable under the door seal trim...
    I'll probably leave it there for now as all seems to be good - 'sept for the alarm keep going off at random moments!
    (I don't think it's linked to the use of the OBD being used... fingers crossed!)

Car
    F54 and F56
    That’s OK I’m happy to help and sorry I didn’t get more photos ...

You’ll need a mini one and a standard one IMO. The reason for that is the majority of the fuses for a permanent live are full size and the switched feed ones are the micro ones. You could use two micro ones but I’m not too sure that over time they’ll not work there way loose so I just played it safe and got one of each then wired the cut wires to a connector (but you don’t need to do that). Just buy a wee O or maybe better a U ring and crimp it to the earth wire and you’ll be able to slide it in behind the nut (think it’s a 13mm) and that’ll save you trying to get the nut all the way off.

I thought they’d be an airbag in the A pillar but def none in mine as if there had been I’d have taped it to the pillar so it didn’t get caught on anything.

I just prefer to keep away from OBD port it saves any issues and every thing seems easier to find power wise from the passenger side.

I’ve never had any issues since the install and the parking mode disables once you start up the car and move off.

It’s worth taking off the queue moving, etc as they can be annoying after the first few times the unit beeps. I’ve also found the speed camera warning is very slow and you’re usually past them before the unit beeps so I’ll be taking that off next time I update the unit.

Anything to do with the unit itself you’d be better asking Pete as he knows more about that than me ... at the mo !

Car
    Clubman Cooper S All4
    That’s OK I’m happy to help and sorry I didn’t get more photos ...

You’ll need a mini one and a standard one IMO. The reason for that is the majority of the fuses for a permanent live are full size and the switched feed ones are the micro ones. You could use two micro ones but I’m not too sure that over time they’ll not work there way loose so I just played it safe and got one of each then wired the cut wires to a connector (but you don’t need to do that). Just buy a wee O or maybe better a U ring and crimp it to the earth wire and you’ll be able to slide it in behind the nut (think it’s a 13mm) and that’ll save you trying to get the nut all the way off.

I thought they’d be an airbag in the A pillar but def none in mine as if there had been I’d have taped it to the pillar so it didn’t get caught on anything.

I just prefer to keep away from OBD port it saves any issues and every thing seems easier to find power wise from the passenger side.

I’ve never had any issues since the install and the parking mode disables once you start up the car and move off.

It’s worth taking off the queue moving, etc as they can be annoying after the first few times the unit beeps. I’ve also found the speed camera warning is very slow and you’re usually past them before the unit beeps so I’ll be taking that off next time I update the unit.

Anything to do with the unit itself you’d be better asking Pete as he knows more about that than me ... at the mo !
    The reason I use the OBD is that I bought the Valentine 1 Savvy which in addition taking it's power from the OBD also uses the speed feed to only activate the speed detector OVER a preset speed...
    http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/

Thanks again for your time and help!

Car
    Clubman Cooper S All4
    The reason I use the OBD is that I bought the Valentine 1 Savvy which in addition taking it's power from the OBD also uses the speed feed to only activate the speed detector OVER a preset speed...
    http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/

Thanks again for your time and help!
    Right! Davy!
    I've sourced a G 55 from FleaBay... brand new with polarising filter... £85! Got a parking-lead from Halfords (spit!) for £20 and a 64gb memory card from MyMemory £12...

Looking at the fuses... I was going to use an add-on-lead / piggyback for the accessory lead from spare 52, (Mini size) and then either spare 43 or 46 (Standard size) for the permanent live feed...
    Does this sound about right?

5amp in both?

Also, if - when you have time & it's not too cold... (no rush, they've all only just been ordered) could I please have a photo of where you've placed your camera?
    That would be kind, to give me an idea...