Oil usage...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    This is just for general knowledge and is nothing major.
    I keep hearing various horror stories about how much oil some folks MINI’s use.
    After nearly 12K miles in Rocky I’ve only had to top it up by 180ml.
    Does anyone else use much more than this or is this about normal for an N18 ?

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

The N18 in the S I had was the same - used a bit, but not the horror stories you hear with the N14. Only topped it up once I think in 10k miles

Saying that, my R53 has never used any oil yet some folk seem to go through gallons of the stuff. I read something ages ago that being gentle on an engine does it no good in terms of seating the rings, so giving it the beans now and then helps make the seal.

An Italian tune-up I believe it's called

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Yeah, GP1499 only used a tiny bit of oil but that was due to a very minor leak on the crank seal.

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    None of my MINIs have used much oil. Not too sure if it’s the fact I’ve been lucky or carry out that many oil changes I don’t really notice. That amount of oil seems reasonable Pete though just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn’t get worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Not had mine long enough to know about oil usage as it’s already had its first oil change (due to the timing chain tensioner failing). That certainly seems like normal usage Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Thanks all.

I check it regularly Davy, a habit I picked up from having the wee leak on 1499, and I know how much I’ve used due to buying a brand new bottle of oil when I first bought Rocky.
    I’m not sure if any of you other MINI owners are a tad OCD like that though.

The amount of oil I’ve used hasn’t really alarmed me in all honestly but the amount of mileage that I’ve covered already has shocked me a tad !!!

Current oil usage on my N14 is approx. 1 litre every 500 miles! That is correct, I am single handedly destroying the planet! Had an engine rebuild last year, new rocker cover with breather fitted and an OCC fitted in April and now just picked her up yesterday after getting a new turbo fitted so only time (approx 1 week) will tell if I need to pursue buying my own refinery! She’s still bloody good fun if a little more reeky than a coal fire!!

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Have you thought about fitting a barrel of oil to the roof and having it drip feed into the engine ?
    It may not be the most practical option but it will save you hours of topping up over time.

Joking aside though, that is the kind of scenario that my post was in regard to.
    I honestly hope that you get it sorted eventually Julz.

Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    Current oil usage on my N14 is approx. 1 litre every 500 miles! That is correct, I am single handedly destroying the planet! Had an engine rebuild last year, new rocker cover with breather fitted and an OCC fitted in April and now just picked her up yesterday after getting a new turbo fitted so only time (approx 1 week) will tell if I need to pursue buying my own refinery! She’s still bloody good fun if a little more reeky than a coal fire!!
    No point in changing the oil if that's the case - you'll do a complete oil change every 2500 miles...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Hopefully you get it sorted soon Julz. That’s certainly a high consumption
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz