Stelvio or San Bernardino pass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    As some of you know I'm going to Lake Como, Italy for a week in September and as much as I'd love to do both passes I'm not sure Jenny would appreciate 2 as much as I would. So if you have done both which is the better one?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Neither - Stelvio too busy, San Bernadino isnt that exciting.

Go to the Splugen.

Car
    F56 GP
    I'd recommend the San Bernadino Eddie, particularly if you've got a passenger.

The San Bernadino is relatively short, good fun and pretty accessible. It's an old road which has since been bypassed so it's now a "pleasure-only" route. The first benefit of this is that it's pretty quiet and therefore easier to enjoy. The second benefit is that there's a motorway connection at either end. You don't need to spend all day driving up and down the mountains just to get to the pass (which I'm sure your passenger will appreciate). It also means you can drive it one way and then the other as many times as you like.

The Stelvio is worth doing but it requires much more commitment and it's also far more demanding. Being a "working" road means there's a good bit more traffic. You've also got big heights and tight (sometimes extremely tight) passing places. If I'm being honest then it's not the most relaxing road to go up or down and that's without any form of enthusiasm being thrown into the mix.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Track Ali; 21st August 2018 at 07:38 PM.
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Ali thanks very much. I was thinking Stelvio but it's at least 3 hrs each way and I don't think it would be much fun if it's busy, also it looks like the San Bernardino could be interesting trying the pass in both directions and the tunnel so it's like 2 for the price of 1.

I'm also hoping that it may convince Jenny that mountain passes are amazing and we should go do Stelvio whilst we're over

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_JCW View Post
    I'm also hoping that it may convince Jenny that mountain passes are amazing and we should go do Stelvio whilst we're over
    Aye.......good luck with that
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    F56 GP
    There's also the Gothard Pass which is about the same distance away as the San Bernadino. The Gothard is much more relaxing and scenic from a passenger point of view and there's a lovely little bit with small lakes (more like pools) at the top - makes a lovely a place for a picnic.

Are you driving down to Lake Como Eddie or are you flying and then hiring a car?

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali JCW View Post
    There's also the Gothard Pass which is about the same distance away as the San Bernadino. The Gothard is much more relaxing and scenic from a passenger point of view and there's a lovely little bit with small lakes (more like pools) at the top - makes a lovely a place for a picnic.

Are you driving down to Lake Como Eddie or are you flying and then hiring a car?
    Cheers, I'll look into that too.

We're flying into Milan and hiring a car

Car
    F56 GP
    Just to add one more, there's also the Furka Pass which featured in Goldfinger. It's a more relaxed route but it's certainly worth a visit. It certainly has more of that Austrian/ Swiss feel rather than simply being a mountain pass.

Echo what's been said about passes - Stelvio is not a drivers road - too busy, buses, cyclists, plus the hairpin bends are mega tight and can cause a lot of bunching. If you're determined to do it, do it at sunrise IMO.

If you're in the Milan area Monza is a must-visit to see the old banking, very atmospheric. Whereabouts on Como are you going?

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Echo what's been said about passes - Stelvio is not a drivers road - too busy, buses, cyclists, plus the hairpin bends are mega tight and can cause a lot of bunching. If you're determined to do it, do it at sunrise IMO.

If you're in the Milan area Monza is a must-visit to see the old banking, very atmospheric. Whereabouts on Como are you going?
    Thanks for the advice we're staying at Argegno