ASC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    GAJ
    quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Yeah it stands for Automatic stability control + Traction and effectively prevents front wheel spin
    I think I need to get this.
    Pulled out of a junction yesterday into the path of a slow moving van and booted it - wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gear resulted in me almost getting "Ford transit" stamped on my rear bumper! :I:clown:
    I've done that a few times too!Worse at this time of year too with damp leaves and such like. Need to get a new car unfortunately as it can't be retro-fitted.:(

The Dogfather
    What size tyres have you got? My 17 - 205s (federals) barely slip at all, that's as long as I'm not trying to get it to spin.

sh@z
    Mines slip from time to time too but not a lot really, jus recently tho ... might need to check pressure in tyres

my tyres are Eagle-F1 215's

Julz
    I actually switch mine off when it's wet! Because I have to travel up and down the Kingsway and round all seven million roundabouts, I find the ASC makes the car almost do an emergency stop when I want to be flying along, the Toyo Proxes I've had fitted have a good enough grip to almost eliminate wheelspin in the wet when the ASC is off, but Yoko's getting fitted on the front tomorrow, might be a different story!!:clown::evil:

euan
    I find my ASC is a nightmare at times. In the wet if I want a quick getaway I turn it off and trust my right foot. I know it won't lunge if I do it. Works well in the dry, and in the snow last year it was pretty good too.

It's getting worse, but then my tyres are the 17" Good Year run flats and are much lower on tread now.

sh@z
    quote:Originally posted by Julz

I actually switch mine off when it's wet! Because I have to travel up and down the Kingsway and round all seven million roundabouts, I find the ASC makes the car almost do an emergency stop when I want to be flying along, the Toyo Proxes I've had fitted have a good enough grip to almost eliminate wheelspin in the wet when the ASC is off, but Yoko's getting fitted on the front tomorrow, might be a different story!!:clown::evil:
    hehe... dont the Yoko's have questionable wet weather grip?? or so the guy told me when i was deciding which tyres to get on mine... awesome dry grip tho hehe

lightbody
    I have ASC in my new MINI but didn't have it on the last one.

The traction control part is the part I dont like - it kills wheelspin when you're trying to make a quick getaway - i'd rather have the wheelspin thanks, at least i know whats happening!!

The ASC aspect is GOOD! I over-did it on a very tight city turn in the wet the other night - I felt it kick in and it definitely helped the front of the car tuck in and come round the corner tightly - I was very impressed!! I suspect it could be a life-saver in an emergency.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I run 15"s. I'm surprised the bigger wheels do well in poor weather. I've always found larger / wider wheels give better grip in the dry but can be scary in the wet / frost

X30YES
    quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I run 15"s. I'm surprised the bigger wheels do well in poor weather. I've always found larger / wider wheels give better grip in the dry but can be scary in the wet / frost
    As you say D...very scary in the ice and snow when you have rear wheel drive !!!...I know its an age thing but still great fun ...better with a LSD ,and not dope for you young uns either