ASC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AberdeenMini
    Hi guys, is ASC on when the little read light on the rev-ometer is on or is ASC on all the time and the little red light therefore indicates it is not on? Whats ASC for anyway?
    Thanks guys

ASC is on when the light is off - and off when the light is on

Vosh
    Mine is a yellow light. Sure its not the handbrake thats on? :)

Julz
    Mine's a yellow light too!!

AberdeenMini
    I thought it was a red light:I What is ASC's purpose guys?
    Thanks.

better have a colour blind test - its definitely yellow

The Dogfather
    What is ASC my Cooper doesn't have it, is it traction control?

Yeah it stands for Automatic stability control + Traction and effectively prevents front wheel spin and guarantees stability. This smart electronic system uses the ABS sensors to detect any wheel slippage. When the system does so it automatically cuts power to the spinning wheel until it grips again.

It also works under deceleration on a slippery surface, if a wheel approaches lock-up due to engine braking. In this instance power is gently fed to that wheel to get it rolling again and so control is regained. A warning light comes on when the system is activated.

You can also have

DSC or Dynamic Stability Control is an expansion of ABS and ASC+T. DSC monitors lateral and longitudinal forces on the car as well as throttle and steering inputs from the driver and any wheel slippage. Thus it determines the intended trajectory of the car and compares it to its actual course. If necessary, it can adjust the dynamic attitude of the car by applying braking forces to individual wheels and controlling throttle inputs.

If it detects oversteer, DSC applies the brake to the outer front wheel. If the driver is already braking, the computer increases the braking pressure on this wheel and reduces the pressure on the inside wheels. In the case of understeer, DSC applies braking force to the rear wheel on the inside of the bend. If the driver has already started braking, the braking pressure on the wheel on the inside of the curve is increased, whilst the pressure on the outer wheels is reduced.

These are direct quotes from another site - not my opinion of the systems - I find them too intrusive sometimes , but the MTH mod seems to have evened that up a bit

Steve74
    quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

What is ASC my Cooper doesn't have it, is it traction control?
    I think ASC is standard - Iain should be able to say. Automatic Stability Control + Traction I think. DSC is Dynamic!

GAJ
    ASC + T is an option on the One and Cooper.