High Pressure Fuel Pump

Car
    motorised
    My 8 years old R56 MCS engine light came on and off a couple of time last week. Took it to a none-BMW garage that I've used over many many years and the diagnostic readout is 'low pressure - probable high-pressure fuel pump' The garage did some research said it's a known fault and told me to refer back to BMW.

I also did my own research and apparently over in the US BMW is offering 10 years warranty on HPFP.

The car is now booked in with Mini for their assessment.

Does anyone here knows about this problem or had this issue?
    s'later

Flickr
    500px

Yes, it is a common R56 fault but I doubt you'll get anything from BMW - they wash their hands of problems on our side of the pond.

No harm in asking obviously, but the yanks get recalls where we don't (power steering pumps etc). Just make sure you don't pay BMW for anything is this will be cheaper at an indie

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on, I’d also read about the 10 years or 120,000 miles I think. My R56 threw up and EML a few weeks ago which happened about 10 miles after I had filled up with fuel. I replaced the filler cap seal as this had been highlighted before in the vain hope it was just a pressure issue. Nope. Checked the top lambda sensor and it was mucky, cleaned it, light went out after a few blast of the fun pedal so we replaced this with a new one. Light has been intermittent on and off since. As it occurred after filling up I wondered if it was a poor quality fuel (car is mapped and I only fill with V-Power). A garage I use has owned up to issues with fuel in the past with the V-Power not being up to standard (about 80% what it should be) so they changed the stickers to normal unleaded. I’ve since refilled from a different garage and now the light is only coming on briefly every few days, going to fill up again tomorrow so hopefully it’s better. Still to replace the lower lambda though! Not sure what else it could be otherwise!

Car
    motorised
    Good to know others are aware and having the similar issue. Initially, the service guy gave the usual response of 'no chance of getting it done FOC' and 'they could help if the car has been serviced by them from new' etc. but I just keep talking and asking politely and calmly. In the end, he agreed to take the car in.

Will keep you posted.
    s'later

Flickr
    500px

Car
    motorised
    Well, the car has been with BMW Mini and they've confirmed a fault with the HPFP. They have now submitted a goodwill request to BMW HQ together along with Minis and BMWs ownership in the family over the years. 7 in total so far and all were bought new.

Just waiting patiently for the good news now.
    s'later

Flickr
    500px

Car
    motorised
    Some good news, as a goodwill gesture BMW is willing to pay 80% of the cost.
    s'later

Flickr
    500px

Awesome news!!

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    That is good news....well done
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Quote Originally Posted by rpn View Post
    Some good news, as a goodwill gesture BMW is willing to pay 80% of the cost.
    That is very much a pleasant surprise - maybe they're finally learning to treat regular customers properly when it comes to design failures of their products!

Good result - I thought 50/50 would have been their best offer

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs