300bhp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I still love the simple art of changing gear- matching the revs for a perfect downchange.

The R53 & R56 have perfect pedal placement, and such a sweet gearchange that without it I'd really miss it.

The ZF 8 speed box is great at what it does, but I can't help feel that 8 gears are just too many. I tried it in a 420d, and with it's narrow 4-pot derv torque curve it was changing gear all the time. I suppose on a petrol with a flatter torque curve it might be better.

But hey, it's the way the world is going

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    DSG? Flappy Paddles? Luxury! We used to dreeeeeaaam o’ flappy paddles! I drive a 74 MGB with t’ 4 Speed and t’Overdrive (3rd & 4th). It’s like t’ kiddies activity centre on’t back road! Left ‘and for’t big stick, a flick oop ‘n down with t’ right for t’overdrive, alternating yer ‘ands on’t wheel while negotiating t’ bends. You tell the young kids that today and they won’t believe you!

With apologies to Monty Python’s “Four Yorkshiremen” sketch. And Pete!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    DSG? Flappy Paddles? Luxury! We used to dreeeeeaaam o’ flappy paddles! I drive a 74 MGB with t’ 4 Speed and t’Overdrive (3rd & 4th). It’s like t’ kiddies activity centre on’t back road! Left ‘and for’t big stick, a flick oop ‘n down with t’ right for t’overdrive, alternating yer ‘ands on’t wheel while negotiating t’ bends. You tell the young kids that today and they won’t believe you!

With apologies to Monty Python’s “Four Yorkshiremen” sketch. And Pete!
    A ‘74 MGB on’t back roads ???
    Bloody luxury that is.
    We had to walk in us bare feet o’er red hot lava rocks and pay t’landowner for privilege...

Sent from Yorkshire wi a hint o’ sarcasm.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Ah din’t know tha was born on’t Hawaii our Pete! We used to dreeeeaam o’ living on’t Hawaii. Red ‘ot Lava rocks? Luxury! Most we could ‘ope for was to warm us ‘ands on’t steam from pit slag ‘eap...

Sorry folks! Back on Topic...

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Autoboxes are all about emissions and fuel economy from what I’ve encountered. I’ve only ever had two autos, an old Merc ages ago and an Audi, which I still have.
    To me they suit a bigger, heavier car. I chose an auto for the Audi coz it’s an estate, not a small hatch and also because the road fund licence for the manual model took it into the next bracket! Significantly more.
    To be honest, I find it really relaxing to drive in auto, a godsend driving round Europe on it, never really use the flappy paddles and couldn’t change gear quicker in the manual version if I tried.
    I’ll keep the R53 for as long as possible, because I love to change gear in it, the balance that it gives, though will give an auto MINI a go just to see how that works out.
    Interesting times ahead, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    I was on a BMW MINI Ultimate Driving Experience day on Friday (Gordon.... where were you?), Aberdeen to Mar Lodge for lunch.... nice

In our group we drove X1, 140i, F57 Cooper, 340i, X5 and i8..... all autos. Enjoyed the flappy paddles in the i8 for some reason, and the noise, but was great to get back into my car for the drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswagon View Post
    I was on a BMW MINI Ultimate Driving Experience day on Friday (Gordon.... where were you?), Aberdeen to Mar Lodge for lunch.... nice

In our group we drove X1, 140i, F57 Cooper, 340i, X5 and i8..... all autos. Enjoyed the flappy paddles in the i8 for some reason, and the noise, but was great to get back into my car for the drive home.
    Obviously John Clark don't like me, I must be riff raff

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Obviously John Clark don't like me, I must be riff raff
    With your car collection you'd just about scrape in