Alternator issues

Hi all,

So my battery light come on today on my 04 Cooper. I popped over to Farmers autocare in Grahams Road, Falkirk and they confirmed my alternator is knackered. They quoted me £350 for supply and fit a new one which I can ill afford.
    So I've looked up YouTube videos and it looks like an absolute pig of a job, removing bumper etc etc etc.

Firstly does anyone have an alternator for sale (much cheapness preferred)?

Secondly has anyone fitted one and have they any tips for me?

Lastly, unlike the classic mini where you just put the fan belt back on, lift up the alternator and tighten the nut, I believe the belt goes round more than just the alternator, and in addition, is has tensioner which I have never dealt with before. Any tips would be appreciated including how to get the belt off and anything else I should be aware of

Many thanks in advance

Craig

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Why don’t you phone B&M and see how much they would take for doing it
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Need to get it done today for work tomorrow!!!!! Argh!!

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    I think it’s just about the whole front end off for this job. I’ve not done one but if I remember I saw it being done once and it’s the crash bar and legs off too. Be careful if you’re not taking the radiator out too as you’ll need to pull the radiator forward to get into it ... fingers crossed especially if you need it done asap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Thanks for that,
    I googled it and found a YouTube video and you are spot on, full front end off, had to slide radiator out and then replace. Got a replacement from u pull it in inverkeithing for £25 and job done with no additional cost, only time. Big difference from the £350 I was quoted! 😎

Good result there.. and good graft getting stuck in your self.. well done...

Happy mini miles..
    Last edited by bpirie1000; 22nd May 2018 at 08:14 AM.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Great result
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Mini Cooper s r 53
    Got on line to mini spare Hull there are on eBay