Death rattle on mini One r56?

Hi guys,

Looks like I’ve got the death rattle on my 11 plate mini One.

Only thought this affected the MCS and not the non turbos?

Either way, it’s not done 38k, is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    1.6 or 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    1.6 or 1.4
    It’s the 1.6 lci

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Death rattle is timing chain tensioner failure. Did the noise start suddenly and does it get any better once the car is warm

- - - Updated - - -

The 1.6 and 1.6T are almost identical so could easily be the same issue as the S model

Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    Death rattle is timing chain tensioner failure. Did the noise start suddenly and does it get any better once the car is warm

- - - Updated - - -

The 1.6 and 1.6T are almost identical so could easily be the same issue as the S model
    Yes, thought so as it’s just a turbo put in from my basic knowledge. But everyone talks about the MCS online and not the One. Thanks.

It started and idled bit lumpy on Monday evening and then settled after the drive home and driving tonight I noticed a rattle after another drive, it now won’t go away.

I looked at the oil and it was low, but not on the bottom marker, topped it up to 4/5 between the markers and it’s not gone after that either.

How hard is the part to replace? I appreciate the chain is an internal part of the bmw engine but is it a nightmare?

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Unless you are a confident mechanic I wouldn't attempt it. I had mine done last year and parts were around £200 then labour can vary a lot. I was lucky and none of the guides had broken since its only newly started with you you shouldn't have any broken guides.