Once upon a time reading a dipstick on an engine used to be pretty straightforward, wipe, reinsert, read. Trying to read the oil on our 2006 R52 MCS, man it's hard!

I'm starting to wonder if we have an R57 dipstick too...….

Its a coiled spring type with two ferules marking max and minimum and a metal pointed end. On wiping and dipping it is clear that the tip and min marker are oil smeared, but as to where the level is after that is anyone's guess as the spring just looks oil smeared with no discernible line on it.

So I did some Googling; all the OEM type sticks on eBay and the like for the R52/53 are the more traditional metal type (and making a big thing about not snapping), and I only saw a dipstick like mine on a video for checking an R57!! (which probably won't be the correct length being designed for the PSA engine not the Chrysler one).

Don't really want to kill the car from Oil Starvation. So, do I have the right dipstick for the car (or has someone simply replaced a MCS dipstick for an MCS dipstick without checking the type)? If yes, any tips on how to read it?

If no, what's the recommended replacement for the R52 MCS (OEM or aftermarket)?

Thanks,

Niall