I've heard of too many people regret selling a car they love which is why my 13 year love affair with my R53 JCW will continue. I'll spend whatever it takes to keep it alive - the underside was refreshed this year and I now try and avoid salted roads with it.

As Rob said, it's the rawness about the R53 that appeals. I honestly don't think BMW could have made such a great drivers' car on their own - the character of the R53 benefits massively from being a Rover/BMW mongrel. And that for me is what it's all about - character. Not ultimate speed, or equipment etc.

I also dislike the way modern cars are going - I'm not keen on the power delivery of a modern turbo, and I've never driven a car with electric steering that gives me the feedback I want. We had a 420d as a courtesy car recently, and apart from the hateful engine, getting back into our 12 year old 5 series was a revelation - I could actually feel the front wheels again! The R53 has epic steering, one of the most important things about a car for me.

I don't want to sound like an obnoxious prick, but most of you know I'm lucky enough to own a Ferrari 550. Despite having such an epic car, the R53 more than holds its own against it and will never be sold. I think that says a lot