Immobiliser? Intermittent Starting

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2005 Cooper Convertible
    Hi Folks, my girlfriend's 05 Cooper Convertible is displaying an odd starting issue.
    Occasionally when she turns the key nothing happens.
    She's quite mechanically minded and she tells me that there is no click i.e. starter solenoid firing & normal dashboard lights.
    I've checked the voltage at the battery and all seems fine to me.
    I had Google'd it and there are a couple of threads on other forums that mention the immobiliser which sounds plausible to me but there is nothing definitive.
    Has anyone here had this issue?
    I'll happily take it to a dealer but I'd rather not go with a blank expression on my face.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Gordon

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Hi Gordon, firstly, I don’t know if it’s the same thing and I don’t have a solution! But sometimes when I insert the key fob and hit the start button, there’s a click, but the engine doesn’t start. It can do this a couple of times, but it always (touch wood!) starts after that. It doesn’t happen every time and I’m pretty sure it’s only been since I had the car remapped, and that was a good while ago. Car’s working fine otherwise, so I’ve never bothered investigating further, more of an intermittent inconvenience than a real problem. Interesting to hear your story though.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    2005 Cooper Convertible
    Thanks Elfman, tbh it isn't very frequent so I'll just monitor it for now but if it gets markedly worse i'll look into it further. I've joined another online group so I'll pose the same question.
    If i get any further I'll update this post.
    Cheers,
    Gordon

No worries Gordon, I wasn’t much help, but sometimes it’s good to have company!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

A lot of random electrical problems can be traced to the BC1 module at the drivers feet, at the bottom of the A-pillar. Have a look for water ingress around that area

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Water... I think you’re maybe taking this “Fish” thing too far!