Car
    R53 heavy moded

What i would run if i owned the following cars

R56 Hatch all /standard clubman r55 decat
    R55 clubman jcw sport cat de cat it to harsh imo
    R53 oem cat
    New sig coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    Nowhere near as good as decat (sound wise) but getting Rod of the centre resonator does improve the sound a good bit.

My last S I had Jcw back box, no resonator and I really liked how it sounded.

This one I'm leaning more towards a custom valved system
    The last time I checked Remus had a valved system for the R56. The downside is that it doesn't use a fancy bluetooth fob like the F56 system - instead you have to get out an Allen key to manually open and close the valve. Not sure how convenient that would be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Harmchar View Post
    Looking at the differing views on offer has made me wonder if I should forget about a decat or sports cat and just go for a remap with an Alta intake.. plans was not achieve mega hp, but accentuate the pops and crackles. Best part of owning an S. Got to get some coin from wife now.
    I'd say a de-cat (or a sports cat) is still a worthwhile option, particularly if you've got a standard Cooper S exhaust. The de-cat (and sports cat) will definitely give you more pops and bangs (obviously the de-cat will give you a little more than with the sports cat). They will also tie-in very nicely with a custom map and leave room on the table should you wish to chase more power in the future.

The alternative would be to find a JCW exhaust or, as Mark's suggested, a JCW back box. Depending on what you are after, you may find that this is enough.
    MINI F56 John Cooper Works
    18" Cup Spokes with Yokohama Advan AD08Rs, JCW Pro Aero Kit, JCW Pro Exhaust, Duell AG Rear Spoiler

Car
    F56 JCW Challenge & R56 Cooper

Got to agree with Ali. Don’t be put off by a decat or even sports cat as they will give you what your looking for. Only other alternative if you don’t want to go down the decat/sports cat route now would be a full JCW exhaust, that will liven things up a bit but not as much as a decat

The Alta intake is brilliant and rather addictive, in terms of always wanting to hear it.
    MINI F56 John Cooper Works Challenge 20 - JCW Shift Light, JCW Pro Mats, JCW Carbon Fibre Gearknob, JCW Pro Diffuser, Chilli Red Engine Cover, Carbon Fuel Filler, Black Door Handles, DuellAG Splitter, DuellAG Carbon Fibre Spoiler - Still More To Come

Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    The Alta intake is brilliant and rather addictive, in terms of always wanting to hear it.
    Yep - with all the talk of the exhaust I forgot to add my endorsement of the ALTA intake. I had one on my R56 for nearly 60k miles (although it did need a clean from time to time). The ALTA intake was one of my favourite mods because I enjoyed it every single time I drove the car. Well worth the money and, surprisingly for an open intake, actually beneficial in terms of performance*.

*Usually open intakes are worse because they suck in hot air from the engine bay, but on later R56 models the bonnet scoop comes partially open from the factory which allows enough cold air in for the intake. If you have an early R56 then the option is there to remove the bonnet scoop insert (the black plastic blanking plate), swap the bonnet scoop insert (for one from a later R56), or simply open the insert yourself (by drilling a few holes in it).
    MINI F56 John Cooper Works
    18" Cup Spokes with Yokohama Advan AD08Rs, JCW Pro Aero Kit, JCW Pro Exhaust, Duell AG Rear Spoiler

Car
    mini roadster jcw

i went a slightly different rout by going stealth cat , basically cut the oem cat open removed the pre cat and welded back up , i get no eml and cat looks stock
    TAPS AFF FITT DOON

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S

Quote Originally Posted by digi View Post
    i went a slightly different rout by going stealth cat , basically cut the oem cat open removed the pre cat and welded back up , i get no eml and cat looks stock
    I am quite tempted to do that because I have a spare stock cat from my last mini. I presumed you would get the engine light though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also gunna add my two cents on intake I've had my aem intake on both of my n14 Ss and done about 50k between the 2. I personally prefer the design of the aem because the intake is shielded from the heat of the engine bay by being enclosed. I also think the aem looks better. As for quality for the price of the intake there are a few quality issues.

Car
    mini roadster jcw

no engine light even before my remap and its mot friendly as well . please note its not anywhere near as good as a decat
    TAPS AFF FITT DOON

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Mini Cooper S r56 2008

I've chickened out on the intake side and ordered a Pipercross panel filter that will sit in the stock box avoiding the heat issues of Alta. AEM item does look good, but can't justify that type of coin on family runaround. Next spend should probably be a metal bodied blow off/recirc valve to replace plastic item.

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

I have a Milltek downpipe & sports cat into the ‘Stage 1’ JCW system. The downpipe definitely changed the ‘tone’ of the exhaust and made it sound a bit more purposeful. Did trigger the emissions light after every few hundred miles, but ‘cured’ that when it was remapped. Never had any emissions issues at MOT time though. Quite pricey though. ALTA induction is great fun - like having Darth Vader under your bonnet - I looked for him but only found a dead Ewok. Again. No ‘heat issues’ with the Alta either, still producing the power it should. Removed the grille from the scoop, or was that the girl from the soup? Good Luck whatever you go for.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!