CVT Oil Change....Anyone done it at home?

Car
    Mrs S's 55 Plate Cooper CVT :-)
    Anyone had a bash at changing the CVT Oil (2001-2006) at home with axle stands etc? Was it easy enough or a complete mare and better to get a garage to do it for me?

Seen these instructions and seems not too tricky: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-fluid-431057

Cheers

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Wul100 View Post
    Anyone had a bash at changing the CVT Oil (2001-2006) at home with axle stands etc? Was it easy enough or a complete mare and better to get a garage to do it for me?

Seen these instructions and seems not too tricky: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-fluid-431057

Cheers
    Never done one but as you say seems not a difficult job to carry out ,so best of luck and keep us up to date with how you get on
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

It’s a very easy job, worth doing yourself if you have all the appropriate tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by callumrobson View Post
    It’s a very easy job, worth doing yourself if you have all the appropriate tools

Thanks. Did you fill it from the top plug? IE without the filling set?

Yes I filled it from the top plug. I fed a pipe from the top of the engine to the fill plug and had a funnel at the end of the pipe. No need for fancy pumps etc

^^^ are you referring to the CVT box, or the Getrag on the R53?

If it's the same as the R53 box it's a piece of cake. Make sure you can undo the fill plug before undoing the drain plug, and if you're doing it on axle stands instead of a ramp try and do it on a slope so that the car is level if you're only jacking up the front.

I added a couple of foot of hose onto the bottom of a filter funnel to make it easier to fill. Pour in until oil comes out the fill plug.

If the CVT is different, and I suspect it might be, then I have no idea

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    ^^^ are you referring to the CVT box, or the Getrag on the R53?

If it's the same as the R53 box it's a piece of cake. Make sure you can undo the fill plug before undoing the drain plug, and if you're doing it on axle stands instead of a ramp try and do it on a slope so that the car is level if you're only jacking up the front.

I added a couple of foot of hose onto the bottom of a filter funnel to make it easier to fill. Pour in until oil comes out the fill plug.

If the CVT is different, and I suspect it might be, then I have no idea
    It is the CVT i'm doing. Like the idea of the hose and funnel - would save having to remove the battery etc. Good shout re checking the fill plug first too lol - that would just be my luck - drain out the oil and discover a snapped allen key in the fill plug!

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Ive done it on a 2004 CVT Cooper some years ago.
    Its a doddle to do.

Like others have said, fill from the top with the aid of a hose. CVT fluid was around £70 at the time. I'm pretty sure it used quite a lot for the oil change.