Quattro W@#kers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    I really wish bmw would put out an advert just to show how dim-witted a system quattro really is. Just been to town and the amount of people running about in S model audis thinking they are hero's because they have quattro really bugs me. Especially when it's a small audi like the S3 or s1 where it's not even proper quattro it's a fwd car that once you are stuck in the snow it will spin the back wheels and most likely not get you out.

Rant over

Lol.

I know what you mean though. These people don't understand that traction does not equal grip.

I also detest the pretence that having a tdi S-line is the same as a full-fat S/RS. It just isn't, so don't pretend it is!

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    There are people in my village and they decided that the roads were bad because their 4x4 was struggling. A 4x4 is as good as a unicycle if you've summer tyres on some people are clueless. We have a semi steep road up to the village hall and all the people with 4wd said they were struggling, well my mini with a good set of winter tyres managed no problem at all

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Aye, most of the driving problems at this, and any time of year, are driver related not vehicle related.
    I once drove 1499 home through 4” of snow with Summer tyres on and I never had an issue.
    VERY gentle acceleration and braking and all was good.
    My main worry was ragging off the front spoiler !!!

Sent via The X using Voodoo

My R53 makes an epic snowplough

Wifey drives to work in a 530d auto - everything you don't want in the winter; RWD, diesel, and auto. With winter tyres on it's fine, no need for 4x4.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    She’s braver than me then.

Just to prove that a Quattro can handle snow if equipped with the right tyres for the conditions...

https://youtu.be/25u80sQkkkM

Sent via The X using Voodoo

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    https://youtu.be/HvqQuC_8VrM

Proof quattro is dim-witted. I know it's a BMW test but even in real life tests quattro cant hold a candle to xdrive. Because quattro is electronic it needs to detect slip before it will distribute power. Xdrive being mechanical senses lowered grip immediately and compensates

- - - Updated - - -

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkLGUDtcaTw

Quattro v xDrive viewed from audi's perspective and yes I have an A4 Quattro thats not an S or RS but just a damn fine motorcar
    I believe mines has the Torsen transfer box with a 40/60% front/rear permanent power split.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    Xdrive being mechanical senses lowered grip immediately and compensates
    And who was it they pinched that from again..........ahh thats right.........Land Rover
    Last edited by Big Gordy; 14th December 2017 at 02:08 PM.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    When did it start snowing on here again???

I think it might seem worse up in these parts for Audi, we've got a lot of Audis (and a fair few w*****s..... big in Oil???)... strangely enough, none of the hills around me have got rollers at the bottom of them.....

It's at this time of year I miss the hippo, my S reg Freelander with the 1.8 K series. Don't think it had power to spin the wheels but just kept on going.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeswagon View Post
    When did it start snowing on here again???

I think it might seem worse up in these parts for Audi, we've got a lot of Audis (and a fair few w*****s..... big in Oil???)... strangely enough, none of the hills around me have got rollers at the bottom of them.....

It's at this time of year I miss the hippo, my S reg Freelander with the 1.8 K series. Don't think it had power to spin the wheels but just kept on going.
    I've lost count of the number of white Audi SUV things round Alford. Almost like a uniform round here for some folk