Code reader

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    R50 1.4d and R50 1.6
    Bought a mini one 1.4d for my daughter passing her test. A few issues to sort out and most delt with. Main issue is engine check light on. It's a 53 plate and the code readers I have don't recognise the protocol. I understand that these were not standardised until late 2004 for diesels. So my question is.... what fault code reader do I need to buy/use to read the codes and cancel the light.. tried a few garages locally and none of their readers work and all have had this problem in the past with the older mini diesels. Bmw will certainly be able to do it but I would prefer to get a reader or app to do it myself....... thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jamesgraham; 9th November 2017 at 07:07 PM.

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    I would like to think the carly for bmw app would work for you but in all honesty I have no idea how far back it would be compatible esp with the early diesel models but it can’t hurt an email. They’ve responded very quickly to mine in the past, so I’d imagine you’d have an answer very quickly. Plus you might get some coding options too also the gen 1s didn’t have many selectable options

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    R50 1.4d and R50 1.6
    Thanks. Tried carly but it doesn't go back far enough.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    The only other thing I could think of would be a scangauge, if you haven’t already tried it. Failing that maybe best to take the car to Douglus at B&M who will be able to help
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

It's a Toyota engine - would a Toyota reader work better? Just a thought

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    R50 1.4d and R50 1.6
    Tried a few of the diy code readers on bmw, Toyota and mini settings. Also garage grade readers including snap-on. Have messaged Douglas at b&m. He was very helpful and suggested c110 reader but has no personal use experience of this reader an could not guarantee it would definitely work. I am awaiting delivery and will post whether it works or not. This must be a common issue with the 1.4d and I am surprised it is not an issue that has raised its head before.