Big Brake Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Has anyone put on 4 or 6 pots on their R56 other than the Jcw brakes. Tempted by a set of porsche calipers of anything just for the value for money can get a set of boxster or cayman calipers really cheap.

Do the Jcw 4pots require and adapter or hanger to fit?

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    The JCW 4 pots are direct fit ! I’m not sure about the gp2 brakes though.
    I fitted JCW 4 pots to my SD not so long ago and the feel is tremendous. I’ve never had 4 pots before and the feel of the pedal is so progressive. I haven’t been out on a fast run yet or needed to try them in anger but they will be far better than the single piston standard brakes I had !

It's a light car, and you don't need that much braking force - the JCW 4 pots are overkill anyway TBH. Also you really don't want to increase unsprung weight as that's where weight is most critical. Big calipers are heavy.

JCW 4 pots, direct fit, and DS2500 pads are all you need IMO if you want bigger calipers. Remember that the Time Attack R53s & R56s ran on stock R56 calipers, due to weight. They had plenty of braking force with the right pads and didn't limit choice of wheels, like bigger calipers do

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    It's a light car, and you don't need that much braking force - the JCW 4 pots are overkill anyway TBH. Also you really don't want to increase unsprung weight as that's where weight is most critical. Big calipers are heavy.

JCW 4 pots, direct fit, and DS2500 pads are all you need IMO if you want bigger calipers. Remember that the Time Attack R53s & R56s ran on stock R56 calipers, due to weight. They had plenty of braking force with the right pads and didn't limit choice of wheels, like bigger calipers do
    I had upgraded pads in my last mini and you could feel the difference much better feel and you could stop a good bit quicker. It's more for the looks 4 pots just look cooler I doubt my mini will ever see a track and after my accident I'm much less of a hooligan

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add to that I purposely bought wheels that could clear the Jcw calipers incase I ever wanted to fit 4pots

The good thing about the JCW 4 pots is that 350Z pads fit, and they're cheaper. I put in 350Z OEM Brembo pads for £25

I noticed the difference in unsprung weight, so I definitely wouldn't want to put anything bigger and heavier on there

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    The good thing about the JCW 4 pots is that 350Z pads fit, and they're cheaper. I put in 350Z OEM Brembo pads for £25
    Good tip that, thanks

Carbotech pads work very well with the single piston calipers.
    BMW M2 and R56 JCW

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    Carbotech pads work very well with the single piston calipers.
    Are they quite dusty I can't stand dusty pads hate the current pads that are in not sure of the brand but they do that have much stopping power and dust like crazy

The dust from them is horrific!
    BMW M2 and R56 JCW

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    The dust from them is horrific!
    Can't deal with hahaha. My summer wheels are ceramic coated and waxed and they wash easily but still can't stand brake dust

- - - Updated - - -

Tempted by the ceramic pads from ebc as they are meant to dust very little