F56 S Front Brake Rattle

Hi all,

Been on here for a while but this is my first post I'm sure! - need to get an introduction thread up.

I've had an F56 S for about 4 months, 15 plate, bought on 6k miles now on 11k.

About a month or so after I got the car it developed a rattle from the front end over broken/rough surfaces. The noise completely vanishes when the brakes are applied even slightly.

I took it back to the dealer, who gave it a new steering rack under warranty. This didn't resolve the issue, so I took the car back again.

This time the dealer gave the car a 'brake clean' and returned the car stating that it was the front brakes rattling due to their design (floating).
    I wasn't satisfied with this, so I took the car back up and the workshop foreman came out and spoke with me, he said that its due to the design of the callipers and that the service bulletin indicates to clean the brakes to resolve the issue. I pointed out that this had already been done with no improvement which was basically met with 'Well you can book it back in and we'll clean them again.'

I'm only 19 and this is my first newish car so I think the dealer are trying to pull a fly one if I'm honest. I've had the wheels off and had a look around but everything seemed fine. I'm not really sure what to do next.

I'm reluctant to book the car back in again for the issue not to be resolved as the dealer wont insure me on their courtesy cars so I keep needing to arrange my own insurance at nearly £50 a day.

Looking for thoughts/advice, cheers!

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Never had this problem on any of our F series ,maybe worth a phone call to MINI customer services and voice your concern about having the brakes cleaned again and see if they can offer any explanation or suggestions
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf340 View Post
    Never had this problem on any of our F series ,maybe worth a phone call to MINI customer services and voice your concern about having the brakes cleaned again and see if they can offer any explanation or suggestions
    Good shout, will give them a ring and see what the situation is.

Hey it sounds to me that you need to check what brake pads are on the car. If the pads are smaller and not sitting in the carrier they will vibrate or move around till the calliper is pressed.
    What I would do is contact mini or even a motor factors to see if there is different brake pads for your car. Also if your discs are not secured they car rattle.
    These are the only things I can think of as I’ve not seen the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by minitaz View Post
    Hey it sounds to me that you need to check what brake pads are on the car. If the pads are smaller and not sitting in the carrier they will vibrate or move around till the calliper is pressed.
    What I would do is contact mini or even a motor factors to see if there is different brake pads for your car. Also if your discs are not secured they car rattle.
    These are the only things I can think of as I’ve not seen the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get the feeling this may be the issue, recently when braking over rough surfaces the brake pedal itself vibrates for a second or so. Its been to mini 3 times now and they have inspected the brakes each time before cleaning them and handing the car back. I'd hope they'd have noticed wrong brake pads being fitted by now but I'll try and get a wheel off this week and have a look.

Cheers!