Official BMW/MINI Owners Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don't know if many of you know, but there is a MINI register as part of the BMW Owners Club, so all MINI owners can join and get the benefits etc. Although very few do, probably unaware.

Currently there is no official MINI Owners Club (sanctioned by MINI/BMW that is), but there are moves afoot to possibly create one.

So would you join it? If not, why not? Genuinely interested in peoples opinions, I'm a member of each car club for each car we own - not necessarily an active member in them all though. Are you a member of car clubs for other cars you own?

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Personally it wouldn't really interest me.
    The main issue is that there are way too many MINI groups as it is and non will ever beat this one so I'm happy to be wi NMS as long as you'll have me here.

We have two other cars and are not in any clubs for either of them, StreetKa and Insignia Nav Tourer 2.2 DCTi SRi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In reply to both of you above - most car clubs these days try and make the club cost neutral, in that your membership fee is covered by savings you make from insurance/servicing etc. Is that not something you would find attractive?

Just to clarify - I'm a member of the BMW club (we have 2 BMWs and 2 MINIs) but have never been to a meet, and as it seems very central belt focused, will be unlikely go to one. But the club is a handy way of keeping up with news, plus the discounts etc.

I'm not trying to sell an owners club - this forum is far more active, and organises more runs than pretty much any club I know. Just wondering if an official MINI club would bring something else to the ownership experience

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Did the official club route with a few different Marques of cars and always found that it left a bad taste ,as others have said if you do not have this type of model or a lesser model you are more than often left on the outskirts of the "meet" or ignored completely,the "unofficial " clubs that I have attended have always been more inviting and of the type of people that are more interesting and indeed more of a petrol head ,why would you pay for a membership to be ignored
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Not for me I'm afraid. My experience of an official club are not the best. NMS serves all my MINI needs with great friendly members, variety of events and a wealth of knowledge. Doesn't matter if you have a First or a Goodwood everyone is welcome.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    In reply to both of you above - most car clubs these days try and make the club cost neutral, in that your membership fee is covered by savings you make from insurance/servicing etc. Is that not something you would find attractive?

But the club is a handy way of keeping up with news, plus the discounts etc.

Just wondering if an official MINI club would bring something else to the ownership experience
    Im not too fussed about savings from being in a club, don't get me wrong I'm not loaded, but as I own own an older car I just do not buy OEM parts or use dealers of any kind for parts serving and repairs. I wish that I could afford to, but sadly, I can't.
    I invariably buy aftermarket parts and have work done at a very trustworthy, decently priced and excellent local garage.
    I personally just can not put a price on the fun, friendship and family I have made whilst being in NMS. There's no dramas, no back stabbing, no cliques, no bitchiness or any negativity in general which I can't see me finding in any other club, car specific, or not.
    This club has a huge age range of owners, and a massive range of models owned, and everyone treats each other with respect and kindness which is amazing in this day and age of keyboard warriors.
    A few know my thoughts and feelings about this club and that I have a "1%/99%" philosophy about it. 1% is actually about owning a MINI, 99% is about the people who have now become friends and family.
    Long may NMS continue to be a fantastic forum/FB group. Others will always try, but fail, to be as energetic, passionate, friendly and as helpful as the members of NMS are.

Ramble over.

Enjoy and be safe.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by CiderFex View Post
    Im not too fussed about savings from being in a club, don't get me wrong I'm not loaded, but as I own own an older car I just do not buy OEM parts or use dealers of any kind for parts serving and repairs. I wish that I could afford to, but sadly, I can't.
    I invariably buy aftermarket parts and have work done at a very trustworthy, decently priced and excellent local garage.
    I personally just can not put a price on the fun, friendship and family I have made whilst being in NMS. There's no dramas, no back stabbing, no cliques, no bitchiness or any negativity in general which I can't see me finding in any other club, car specific, or not.
    This club has a huge age range of owners, and a massive range of models owned, and everyone treats each other with respect and kindness which is amazing in this day and age of keyboard warriors.
    A few know my thoughts and feelings about this club and that I have a "1%/99%" philosophy about it. 1% is actually about owning a MINI, 99% is about the people who have now become friends and family.
    Long may NMS continue to be a fantastic forum/FB group. Others will always try, but fail, to be as energetic, passionate, friendly and as helpful as the members of NMS are.

Ramble over.

Enjoy and be safe.

Thank you for the kind words regarding NMS and those who make NMS Pete
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    Thank you for the kind words regarding NMS and those who make NMS Pete
    No probs William,I just say as I find.

Interesting responses so far, thanks guys. Disappointing to hear about the poor experiences with clubs, as someone who runs part of a club I'd be mortified to think that that was the perception or experience of my club

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Car
    R56 Cooper S hatch
    You mean https://bmwcarclubgb.uk? No, not a member. I'm aware of it having owned 2 BMWs over 8 years prior to MINItime, but at the time I was involved with another owner/enthusiast club/forum which was enough for me. TBH for the £40/45 annual membership I can't see much benefit that excites me. So ah'm oot.

I've always been involved with an owners club/forum for whatever I've owned: cliosport.net (back in the early 2000's when it was great with decent runs very akin to NMS), type-r-scotland, seatcupra.net, etc. Best was buying a Z4 and signing up to z4-forum and starting off the Scottish runs - those were superb and to this day I still meet up with friends from there. I signed up for e90post with my 330i after the Z4 but never took to it - too many bellends, willy waving and no runs.

What did the best clubs/forums have in common? Decent, normal, friendly folk and well-planned (mostly - we won't mention not getting on the ferry at Mallaig...) runs. Car make and model? They don't matter. From my limited contact with folks here so far, I'd say that sums up NMS too, except we all seem to hold onto MINIs than moving on

I naively thought - when joining NMS - that I'd get along to meets, get out on loads of runs, basically back to what I had with my Clio/Z4. Guess I was being unrealistic given I've a young family and other interests. I know NMS is quite an established, close-knit club/community so am happy enough to stick around here on the fringes and see what happens as the kids get older. Just can't see my having time for another club like the BMW owners club.

Ally