Buying !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Theory Test Pass
    Car
    None yet, buying soon
    Hi all , heading out to look at couple coopers today, both around 88000 miles, apart from obvious, old car buying look puts, what specific mini stuff do I need to look for? Have heard poss gearbox and head problems, any recommendations? Both cars 53, plate, coopers leather , glass roofs.
    Any help ��Greatly appreciated !!
    Scott
    Ps !! Someone told me the engine is the same as that used in Peugeot and Citroen, take it that is utter rubbish ?
    Last edited by Splitshift; 31st July 2017 at 09:23 AM.

You'll be looking at the R50, these do not have Peugeot engines. Check for various oil leaks and opt for the 6 speed box if you can. Happy hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    None yet, buying soon
    Thank you !

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Anything pre July 04 will come with the 5 speed Midland box & after that all R50's came with the 6 speed Getrag box that some prefer. I've got a May 04 Cooper that I've owned from new with 79000 miles & thus far I've had no issues with the gearbox. Apart from all your routine stuff, brakes, suspension, joints & general servicing the only issues are I've encountered are steering related. At 2 years old I had the steering rack & column replaced under warranty & at 4 years old I had to replace the power steering pump that I persuaded BMW to pitch in with a good will gesture that cost me less than 100 quid.

Happy hunting & let me know if you have any other questions

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    None yet, buying soon
    Thanks again , so prob 5 speed in cars I will be looking at, car is to replace a Citroen c2 which was bought to allow son on road, but I hate the engine, it's soft and horrible, and hasn't a temp gauge !!!! Hopefully the mini will have a temp gauge ? I have heard of people saying gearboxes can fail when they get sticky/ hard to get into gear?
    Thanks again for helping !!
    Scott

Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    You can tick the temp gauge box

I'd say that my Midland box feels slightly tight/stiff (compared to my 2014 Corsa / 36000 miles which feels as light as a feather) and reverse can take a bit of coaxing when cold but then again it's all been that way since new. I'd like to think that I'm kind on my box being smooth & precise with my changes, never crashing through the gears even when giving it a right 'wee hoon'
    Last edited by Crombers; 31st July 2017 at 02:41 PM.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    None yet, buying soon
    Ok, if my mrs gives it a wee hoon then questions need to be asked !!!!

Want More BHP!
    Car
    Dark Silver R53
    I would sell you my r53 bud pm me your email addy or mobile no if you have what's app and I will fire you over a few snaps
    Cheers craig

No R50 Cooper came with 6 gears - the facelifts came with a 5 speed Getrag.

Most Coopers of that age will be on a replacement gearbox by now. Usual used car issues to check, but make sure all the electrics work as the BC1 module in the footwell can get wet and then go a bit loopy.

IMO the facelift cars (54 plates and on) are a better bet, a lot of little niggles sorted. Are any of those available?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Oops my mistake, thought all Getrags were 6 speed

Everyday is a school day