Coupe Owners

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    I'm seriously tempted by a coupe either an S or Jcw just wanted to hear from anyone who has had a shot of both I've never driven a coupe or roadster but from all the reviews from the likes of car throttle and fifth gear it sounds like it would be a little more fun than a hatch. Also I wondered if the Jcw can have the n14 as I know the Jcw got the n18 later in the hatch I wondered if it was the same with the coupe/roadster

Thanks Mark

Test drove a coupe, it was a fun drive. First JCWs came with the N14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    They got the N18 the same time as the R56 did Mark
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    F56 GP
    The downside to the Coupe is that it's heavier than a regular hatch. The reason for this is that the Coupe was reverse-engineered from the Roadster and so much of the soft-top's chassis strengthening remained when they added on the hard top. It's not a huge weight increase to be fair but just don't expect the Coupe to feel more nimble and lightweight compared to a regular hatch. I know it goes against what you would expect when comparing a 4-seat hatch and a 2-seat coupe but it's just the way it is.

We owned a Cooper S Roadster and enjoyed a European road trip with a courtesy JCW Roadster. One of the things we noticed was that you feel lower down in the Roadster/ Coupe even though the seating position is the same. The increased rake on the windscreen moves away from the "upright" feeling that MINI's traditionally have. The two-seat layout also means that the rear of the cabin curves round right behind you and so you feel more cocooned inside the cockpit. Although neither of these objectively affect performance they do subjectively change your enjoyment. Another aspect we loved was that the Roadster/ Coupe has a huge boot for it's size and so the car makes for a really practical 2 seater.

If you were going for a Roadster then I'd say the JCW is a little bit wasted as the chassis really isn't on par with the more focused nature of the JCW. In terms of a Coupe though then my preference would be a JCW as it'll tie in better with the "sports car" feel and it'll also add to the visual impact (which is one of the Coupe's appeals).
    F56 GP with some JCW Pro goodies.

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    I'm into 6 months of roadster ownership and I'd agree that it's maybe not as nimble as the regular hatch but sure as heck is a lot of fun, esp with the roof down. The aircon is very efficient at keeping the cabin warm even on very cold and windy days. It's markedly better than in the regular convertible. I've had a wee run in Catriona's mini in the biting cold and had to be defrosted at my destination ��. Had Freddie's roof down in below freezing temps, in blustery weather etc without feeling any serious discomfort. Only time I have the roof up is if it's raining. Boot space is very good. I have JCW - first ever away from a regular cooper. I love it. I wouldn't say it's wasted, it takes off like a rocket when needs be etc etc. Took me a couple of weeks to adjust to the extra oomph but now it just feels normal. So far I've no regrets about choosing this model and tbh i think it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing of the current mini range though of course that's very much an individual preference.

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    I'm into 6 months of roadster ownership and I'd agree that it's maybe not as nimble as the regular hatch but sure as heck is a lot of fun, esp with the roof down. The aircon is very efficient at keeping the cabin warm even on very cold and windy days. It's markedly better than in the regular convertible. I've had a wee run in Catriona's mini in the biting cold and had to be defrosted at my destination ��. Had Freddie's roof down in below freezing temps, in blustery weather etc without feeling any serious discomfort. Only time I have the roof up is if it's raining. Boot space is very good. I have JCW - first ever away from a regular cooper. I love it. I wouldn't say it's wasted, it takes off like a rocket when needs be etc etc. Took me a couple of weeks to adjust to the extra oomph but now it just feels normal. So far I've no regrets about choosing this model and tbh i think it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing of the current mini range though of course that's very much an individual preference.
    I'm a fan of how the roadster looks roof down but roof up it looks a bit ugly and not a fan of the cheapness of the roof. I also prefer the hatch on the coupe to the boot of the roadster. I was on a we run though Glenshee a few weeks ago though and I'd have loved a roadster then weather was brilliant and the scenery is amazing

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    I'm a fan of how the roadster looks roof down but roof up it looks a bit ugly and not a fan of the cheapness of the roof. I also prefer the hatch on the coupe to the boot of the roadster. I was on a we run though Glenshee a few weeks ago though and I'd have loved a roadster then weather was brilliant and the scenery is amazing
    I had a coupe for a weekend when they were first launched. It was awesome but I fell in love with the roadster when it came out and always wanted one. I drive so much with the roof down that it feels a bit claustrophobic and dark when it's up! The quality of the roof was mentioned in some of the car mags but tbh that doesn't bother me. Been quite surprised at random people commenting on the car - positively - there's so many stunning minis out there that I really wouldn't have expected the reaction Freddie has had. Might be something to do with the impeccable finish polished bliss made of his paintwork!

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
    I had a coupe for a weekend when they were first launched. It was awesome but I fell in love with the roadster when it came out and always wanted one. I drive so much with the roof down that it feels a bit claustrophobic and dark when it's up! The quality of the roof was mentioned in some of the car mags but tbh that doesn't bother me. Been quite surprised at random people commenting on the car - positively - there's so many stunning minis out there that I really wouldn't have expected the reaction Freddie has had. Might be something to do with the impeccable finish polished bliss made of his paintwork!
    You don't work in Fraserburgh do you me and my friend were at the Jcw day at John Clark and there was a couple collecting a roadster in your exact spec we did have a good look round it if that was yours then the interior is perfect

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Car
    2017 i8 Protonic Red Edition
    Mrs M had a JCW Roadster back in 2012. Looked humpty, but was pleasant enough with the sport button pressed.

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    You don't work in Fraserburgh do you me and my friend were at the Jcw day at John Clark and there was a couple collecting a roadster in your exact spec we did have a good look round it if that was yours then the interior is perfect

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    No I don't though I've had the car up there a couple of times. There is another one identical to mine in the Aberdeen area maybe that's the one you saw? Interior of mine was in excellent condition but under the quick prep by JC paintwork was in a hellish mess hence the week the car spent at polished bliss for a restoration detail.