General running costs

Hi, lm thinking about getting a mini that will just be a toy for the weekend.
    So it's a good chance it's going to be an older car.
    I quite fancy a JCW or maybe even a GP

Can someone give me an idea of the maintenance costs for these cars, it there much of a difference from a Cooper S.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    The running cost for GP1499 are no more, if not less than the other two cars we own, StreetKa and an Insignia Sports Nav Tourer CDTi.
    I get high 30's mpg on a cruise and about 22mpg on a hoon.
    Mine, sadly, is only used occasionally now and I don't bother about the cost in fuel because I enjoy driving it THAT much.
    In its last three outings I've covered just a shade over 2K miles.

No difference to a Cooper S. Tax £305 per year, £50 for oil, coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, front tyres last me 10k miles.

Depends on your luck really. Budget £1k per year for tax, insurance and servicing and you're probably not far wrong

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2017 F56 JCW & 2016 R60
    Depends on age. My R53 went 13 years from new and hardly needed anything apart from tyres and brake pads, as well as fluid changes at service time. But in the last 2 years have had to replace head gasket, new clutch, two wheel hubs and a couple of welds for the exhaust hangers. Last night I replaced the leaking coolant tank, which cost £25 on eBay and installed it myself. Still nothing too major and I enjoy every mile I drive in it. As above, put aside £100 a month for everything and hopefully you'll have a few quid left over each year.
    2017 F56 JCW Cooper S
    2016 R60 All4 Cooper S: All boxes ticked.

As above, just your luck really whether stuff fails all at the same time. I've had mine from new, 12 and a half years, and nothing significant has gone wrong. One of my other cars costs plenty to keep on the road so the Mini gets a big thumbs up!

Also worth bearing in mind the R53 is relatively simple to work on, more so than later Minis - so easier to DIY or for your local spanner monkey.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post

Also worth bearing in mind the R53 is relatively simple to work on, more so than later Minis - so easier to DIY or for your local spanner monkey.
    Which all helps with the long term ownership of a Mk1
    Last edited by Crombers; 22nd June 2017 at 09:15 PM.

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Another thing to think about is that people focus on the road tax. Yes, it's not great to pay £305 a year for the privilege of driving through potholes; but how much are they losing in depreciation each month on their cars?

R53s may not go up in value and make you money (still too many about), but they won't depreciate any more than where they are now IMO

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully if all goes the way in July that I expect it to go then l will be on the look for a weekend car. If not l will need to get something with a bigger boot and five doors !

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Hi,
    If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
    Regards,
    Dan.