R53 vs R56

What are people's thoughts on how fast the R53 is compared to R56? I've got a R53 JCW and R56 MCS and I really think the R56 is noticeably faster, few mods on it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    The R56 is quicker without a doubt and far easier to get power from.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    It's a little bit of a complicated question given what you've told us.
    You'll always get the people that prefer the R53 (supercharged) over the R56 (turbo) for the different type of power delivery.
    I would expect that with the right mods the R56 would be quicker than the standard JCW R53 but what about if the R53 was modded against a standard R56 would that maybe produce the reversal of your current thoughts ?
    I've an R53 and an F56 and without a doubt the F56 is quicker but is it a better drivers car ? I don't think so ...
    Unfortunately having never really driven or owned an R56 it's difficult for me to answer your question fully but was just putting forward my opinion based on your question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Quote Originally Posted by EcosseGP View Post
    It's a little bit of a complicated question given what you've told us.
    You'll always get the people that prefer the R53 (supercharged) over the R56 (turbo) for the different type of power delivery.
    I would expect that with the right mods the R56 would be quicker than the standard JCW R53 but what about if the R53 was modded against a standard R56 would that maybe produce the reversal of your current thoughts ?
    I've an R53 and an F56 and without a doubt the F56 is quicker but is it a better drivers car ? I don't think so ...
    Unfortunately having never really driven or owned an R56 it's difficult for me to answer your question fully but was just putting forward my opinion based on your question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'd say it's quite a bit faster so stock R56 I'd say would have it too, both great cars to drive but wondered people's opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    2021 F54 JCW
    If you're just talking in terms of speed then the R56 is the quicker and easier to mod to get more power from, like Davy says (and having owned both) the power delivery is different between the two but both very enjoyable in their own ways.

At a wider level than just pure speed the R56 for me is a better all round car than the R53, the jump in build quality and equipment between the two generations is quite clear, the R56 just being a nicer place to be in general. This is true for any generation change though, going from R56 to F56 is another big jump.

R53 JCWs don't make the power they should - they always make circa 10bhp less than the stated figures. Conversely, the R56 has always made more than the stated figures.

An R56 will be quicker like-for-like regardless, but the boosty, almost diesel-like power delivery makes the R56 feel quicker as well.

R53s need to be tuned the old-fashioned way which means £££. Like most modern turbo 4 pots, the R56 responds well to easier and cheaper remaps etc.

If you're chasing ultimate power, the R53 basic engine is so strong it'll make 400bhp. I wouldn't want to take an R56 much over 300bhp, they're a bit more fragile and complicated than the lump in the R53.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Lots of informative replies to this already, but here's my tuppenceworth.

I can sum up the simple 'speed' comparison between the 53 and the 56 from personal experience. A good few years ago not long after the 56 was introduced, we were leaving the Oxford factory after one of our (highly recommended) NMS tours. I was in my mildly modded '03 R53 JCW 210 following a (stock) R56. We both accelerated hard onto the dual carriageway and I thought "I'll reel it in...". I didn't. I maintained the gap but didn't really close it. So, tuned R53 vs showroom R56, just about equal. Now, having driven a modified R56 for years, I know why. As others have said, it takes a lot of £££ and work to get the R53 to produce serious grunt - which it certainly can, but you're already half way there with the 56 and it's a whole lot cheaper (comparatively) and easier to get the same power from the later car.

What you get from the driving experience is another (and much more complex) subject. I loved my R53 and its "Old Skool" tuning, and that supercharger whine was addictive, almost as addictive as the Shell Optimax (pre-V Power!) it used to gulp by the gallon. It was the best sounding car I've had (Playmini Manifold & System), and was certainly as quick as I ever needed. The R56 is a bit more 'refined' (which is good in some ways, but it maybe filters out a bit of the driving experience), and I run out nerve way before my car runs out of speed! Each version has its plus points, so I can't really choose between them. It's like choosing between R53 Bjork and R56 Kylie... If I was forced, I'd say that as a compromise between everyday useability and tuneability while still retaining enough of the original "New Mini-ness", the R56 probably just shades it. Eg, you don't have to plan your route around fuel stops in a tuned 56 as you do in a modded 53, but the noise you'll be making in the older car just before your gas gauge hits the red zone will be pretty damn cool!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!