R56 MCS - N18 engine erratic idle

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    R56 Cooper S
    Have a 2011 MCS with the later N18 engine, however it has started to develop a few issues in the last few days.

Firstly I get a rattle from the engine between 2500 - 3000 rpm particularly when cold but then disappears when the car is warmed up. Noise only occurs when the car is driven and not when you rev it when stationary.

Second problem that has now occurred is the erractic idle which happens both when the car is stationary and under load. Strange when driving as it is as if the accelerator has a mind of its own. I have taken a video of the car when stationary and the engine warmed up after a 25mim drive;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPSdBNlAqDU

Has anyone had any experience of this or can suggest the potential issue?

Thanks,

Craig

Car
    2021 F54 JCW
    Not sure what could be causing it, sorry, somebody who's more technical will be along in a bit.

I've fixed the video embed though, I knew what was causing that problem at least!

I'd guess at MAP sensor but get a code reader on the OBDII port and you'll know better

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    R56 Cooper S
    Thanks both.

I should have also mentioned that the car has not yet thrown a fault code which may make it more difficult to pinpoint the issue at this stage.

You won't get a fault code for the noise I would suspect, but should do for the erratic idle.

It may not trigger a warning light, but there should be a code logged in the ECU

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    R56 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    You won't get a fault code for the noise I would suspect, but should do for the erratic idle.

It may not trigger a warning light, but there should be a code logged in the ECU

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    That's good to know, I was assuming the EML would have to trigger before the codes were logged.

Thanks